The Louisiana State Racing Commission has scheduled a special meeting for May 1 to consider the license Churchill Downs Inc. holds to operate Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots and a ring of OTB parlors with video poker.
Overnight purses at Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots have been reduced 10% for the rest of the current race meet, track officials said Feb. 20.
- By Tom LaMarra
Churchill Downs Inc. officials are encouraged by a rebound of their Louisiana operations in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, but it appears slot machines at Fair Grounds won't be operating until mid-2008 at the earliest.
Churchill Downs Inc. president and chief executive officer Tom Meeker said that in the weeks since Hurricane Katrina devastated CDI-owned Fair Grounds in New Orleans, the company has been working with federal, state, and local governments on a reinvestment plan that could include revamping the historic racetrack into a tourist destination.
A Louisiana legislator said he and his partners received no income or preferential treatment through a deal in which Fair Grounds owners Bryan and Vickie Krantz paid their costs in connection with ownership of two Thoroughbred racehorses, the Times-Picayune reported.
The Louisiana State Gaming Control Board has ruled that video poker machines at Delta Downs in Vinton qualify as slot machines under state law.
A group of truckstop casinos near Vinton, La., want the state Gaming Control Board to determine if 100 video poker machines at the Delta Downs slot-machine parlor are legal.
West Virginia's House Judiciary Committee has approved a measure that would restrict and regulate video poker devices -- called "gray" machines" -- and use revenue from them to fund education and government.
Most Popular Stories
- After 26 Stakes Wins, Fan Favorite Ben's Cat Retired
- Copper Bullet Out to Build Reputation in Bashford Manor
- New York Discusses Race-Day Lasix Rules
- Hill 'n' Dale Acquires Half Interest in Bubbler
- Industry Groups Ask for Change in Parx Oaks Ruling
- Arrogate Breezes at Santa Anita
- Ward Pleased With Stable's Royal Ascot Performance
- Irap Gets Best of Girvin in Ohio Derby
- Fager to Deliver Thoroughbred Owner Conference Keynote
- Conrad Bandoroff Joins Denali Stud