Nicki Knew closed from the back of the pack under Jim McAleney to spring a 7-1 surprise in the $248,143 Bison City Stakes at Woodbine June 29, the second leg of the Triple Tiara for Canadian-foaled 3-year-old fillies.
Odds-on favorite Ginger Brew turned in a scintillating performance at Woodbine June 8, splitting horses at the eighth-pole and then streaking away for a commanding six-length victory in the $502,800 Woodbine Oaks, first leg of the Canadian Triple Tiara.
Even-money choice Officer Cherrie, making her first start around two turns, rallied from just off the pace to capture the $247,000 Mazarine Breeders' Cup (Can-III) at Woodbine for her third consecutive victory Sept. 29.
Although breaking her maiden last time out after moving up in a disqualification, technically, She's the Umpire has never finished first in five career starts. Normally sending a 2-year-old filly out in graded stakes competition would be a lot to ask under those circumstances. However, that did not stop trainer Ian Howard from taking a shot in the $175,000 Mazarine Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. III) at Woodbine Sept. 29, a 1 1/16-mile event for juvenile fillies.
Most Popular Stories
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Dissident, Appearance Win at Royal Randwick
- Trainer Chuck Treece Collects 1,000th Win
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Apprentice Boulanger Guides in First Winner
- Lexington Tracks Eye Instant Racing Licenses
- WV Racing, Breeding Take 10% Revenue Hit
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More