Nicki Knew closed from the back of the pack under Jim McAleney to spring a 7-1 surprise in the $248,143 Bison City Stakes at Woodbine June 29, the second leg of the Triple Tiara for Canadian-foaled 3-year-old fillies.
Odds-on favorite Ginger Brew turned in a scintillating performance at Woodbine June 8, splitting horses at the eighth-pole and then streaking away for a commanding six-length victory in the $502,800 Woodbine Oaks, first leg of the Canadian Triple Tiara.
Even-money choice Officer Cherrie, making her first start around two turns, rallied from just off the pace to capture the $247,000 Mazarine Breeders' Cup (Can-III) at Woodbine for her third consecutive victory Sept. 29.
Although breaking her maiden last time out after moving up in a disqualification, technically, She's the Umpire has never finished first in five career starts. Normally sending a 2-year-old filly out in graded stakes competition would be a lot to ask under those circumstances. However, that did not stop trainer Ian Howard from taking a shot in the $175,000 Mazarine Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. III) at Woodbine Sept. 29, a 1 1/16-mile event for juvenile fillies.
Most Popular Stories
- Derby Battle: Tapit vs. Uncle Mo
- Nyquist Ships to Churchill Day After Work
- A Derby Rookie's First Churchill Morning
- Uncle Lino Game in California Chrome Stakes
- Toews On Ice Glides to William Walker Win
- Exaggerator Works for Kentucky Derby Bid
- Dettori Strikes With 'Gold' in 2000 Guineas
- Alert Bay Holds Tough in San Francisco Mile
- Danzing Candy Logs Final Derby Breeze
- Ward Sends Three Fillies in Kentucky Juvenile