Aqueduct, Churchill Downs, Calder, Woodbine, Australia, Mountaineer and more. view slideshow
Within minutes, the news switched from a grand Victoria Derby (Aus-I) win on Nov 4 as to whether Efficient would attempt to break a 65-year drought for 3-year-olds in the Melbourne Cup (Aus-I) three days later.
Small was king at one of the biggest days of Thoroughbred racing in Australia, as the Melbourne Cup carnival opened at Flemington Oct 30.
From the moment Danehill colts Kempinsky and Elvstroem staged their Derby-prep war at Moonee Valley, they dominated discussions for the 149th Victoria Derby (Aust-I). Such prep performances invariably incur an awesome weight of expectation.
Amalfi, from the first Southern Hemisphere crop of Carnegie, landed the Victoria Derby (Aust-I), the Darley-owned shuttler successful with his first runners in a long-range classic.
One of Australia's leading trainers, Peter Hayes, was killed when the plane in which he was a passenger crashed in Victoria, Australia, on Tuesday. An unidentified 67-year-old pilot also died in the crash.
Most Popular Stories
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- New Career Plans for Retired Comma to the Top
- Boat Trip Wins Express; Triple Heater for 2nd
- Akeed Mofeed Takes HK Cup; Little Mike 9th
- Dozen Pointed for $750,000 CashCall Futurity
- Jose Sea View Posts Gritty Display Victory
- Glorious Days Closes to Win Hong Kong Mile
- Dynamic Trade Continues at Arqana Sale
- Dominant Upsets The Fugue in Hong Kong Vase
- Lord Kanaloa Impresses in Career Finale