New Zealand-bred Preferment broke his maiden in style Nov. 1 at Flemington, winning the Aus$1.5 million AAMI Victoria Derby (Aus-I) from Bondeiger in a thrilling finish.
Aqueduct, Churchill Downs, Calder, Woodbine, Australia, Mountaineer and more. view slideshow
Within minutes, the news switched from a grand Victoria Derby (Aus-I) win on Nov 4 as to whether Efficient would attempt to break a 65-year drought for 3-year-olds in the Melbourne Cup (Aus-I) three days later.
Small was king at one of the biggest days of Thoroughbred racing in Australia, as the Melbourne Cup carnival opened at Flemington Oct 30.
From the moment Danehill colts Kempinsky and Elvstroem staged their Derby-prep war at Moonee Valley, they dominated discussions for the 149th Victoria Derby (Aust-I). Such prep performances invariably incur an awesome weight of expectation.
Amalfi, from the first Southern Hemisphere crop of Carnegie, landed the Victoria Derby (Aust-I), the Darley-owned shuttler successful with his first runners in a long-range classic.
One of Australia's leading trainers, Peter Hayes, was killed when the plane in which he was a passenger crashed in Victoria, Australia, on Tuesday. An unidentified 67-year-old pilot also died in the crash.
Most Popular Stories
- Keeneland September Sale: 4,164 Yearlings
- Delaware Jockey Facing Charges After Shooting
- Desormeaux Taken Off Mounts at Del Mar
- Korean-Bred Not Just a Novelty at F-T Sale
- Lady Eli Showing Improvement From Laminitis
- For Now, Nine Expected to Race in WV Derby
- WV Stakeholders Seek Racing Revenue Boost
- HRRN On-Site for Haskell, Saratoga Stakes
- American Pharoah Arrives at Monmouth
- Darley Closes Aiken Training Track Stable