Jack Wolf was looking forward to the first running of the Ashado Stakes. He believed all along that if any track was to have a race named after his Eclipse Award winner, it should be Saratoga Racecourse or Belmont Park, the scenes of some of his filly's biggest triumphs.
In any regard, despite a mid-afternoon downpour that disrupted the turf action on some of the scheduled events and made the main track sloppy, racing returned to the Spa at the level we've all come to expect.
This summer marks the first time that Saratoga Gaming and Racing is taking bets on the flat track, and Saratoga Thoroughbred fans of advanced age, with bum legs or an aversion to getting wet when it rains or hot when it's humid, are the ones that are going there.
In the time that it took to walk four blocks from Saratoga Race Course to a computer after the races on Thursday, twenty-nine Todd Pletcher bobblehead dolls were listed on eBay and two more had already been sold for a "Buy Now" price that was four times the $3 cost of grandstand admission that qualified you for one.
By Vic Zast - It is wrong to believe that only devotees with a love of the Thoroughbred deserve a place in the Turf Club. Or that to be a genuine fan one must take racing seriously. Racing is best when it's democratic, not burdened by snobbery.
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity