Whatever the reason, they missed the full effect of a perfectly delightful day. Racing doesn't get much better than the product put forth at Saratoga on Saturday.
Ever since 1777, when General Kosciuszko of Poland held the British back from advancing in the Battle of Saratoga, visitors to this city of 35,000 people have been welcome. Friday night rock 'n roll offers one of the many reasons why they're drawn.
Jack Wolf was looking forward to the first running of the Ashado Stakes. He believed all along that if any track was to have a race named after his Eclipse Award winner, it should be Saratoga Racecourse or Belmont Park, the scenes of some of his filly's biggest triumphs.
In any regard, despite a mid-afternoon downpour that disrupted the turf action on some of the scheduled events and made the main track sloppy, racing returned to the Spa at the level we've all come to expect.
This summer marks the first time that Saratoga Gaming and Racing is taking bets on the flat track, and Saratoga Thoroughbred fans of advanced age, with bum legs or an aversion to getting wet when it rains or hot when it's humid, are the ones that are going there.
In the time that it took to walk four blocks from Saratoga Race Course to a computer after the races on Thursday, twenty-nine Todd Pletcher bobblehead dolls were listed on eBay and two more had already been sold for a "Buy Now" price that was four times the $3 cost of grandstand admission that qualified you for one.
By Vic Zast - It is wrong to believe that only devotees with a love of the Thoroughbred deserve a place in the Turf Club. Or that to be a genuine fan one must take racing seriously. Racing is best when it's democratic, not burdened by snobbery.
Most Popular Stories
- Strong Racing Stable Has Oxley Looking Forward
- Dortmund Drills for Sherman at Los Al
- Sunshine Millions Cuts After FTBOA Withholds Payment
- Southwest the Next Target for Uncontested
- A Closer Look at Smarty Jones Winner Uncontested
- Cuomo Plan Asks New York Racing to Pay for Drug Testing
- Japan Gets a NY Filly as His First Foal
- Cuomo Proposes Returning NYRA to Private Control
- Cautious Giant Brings Top Price at Barretts Mixed Sale
- Bayern's First Foal, a Filly, Arrives in Ontario