The Keeneland January horses of all ages sale continued its scary downward spiral during the second session of its six-day run in Lexington. The gross revenue Jan. 13 dropped 66.2% from a year ago while the average price fell 61.6%. The median price plunged 55.8% while the number of horses sold was down least of all, 12.1%.
Kinghaven Farms homebred Seductively kicked off her 4-year-old campaign in style, winning Sunday's US$154,616 Whimsical Stakes (Can-III) at Woodbine by 2 1/4 lengths.
Leah's Secret emerged from the pack mid-stretch and held off fellow outsider Vestrey Lady to win the $300,000 Lexus Raven Run (gr. II) for 3-year-old fillies, creating some huge payoffs at Keeneland Saturday.
A full field of 14 3-year-old fillies, most of which are stakes winners, have been entered in the Oct. 21 Lexus Raven Run Stakes (gr. II) at Keeneland. The fiercest competitor in the $300,000 contest appears to be My Lucky Free, who has been perfect in her last three starts.
Harlequin Ranches' Vestrey Lady, ridden by Jim McAleney, made every pole a winning one in Saturday's featured $134,400 La Lorgnette Stakes at Woodbine.
Original Spin, third last year in the Alberto VO5 Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I), and undefeated Misty Rosette will be among the choices in a very competitive field of 11 3-year-old fillies drawn for the $150,000 Stonerside Forward Gal Stakes (gr. II) at seven furlongs Sunday at Gulfstream Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Beholder Work Moved After Del Mar Breakdowns
- Exaggerator Questionable for Jim Dandy
- Bitumen Rallies to Sanford Score
- Stradivari Sustains Career-Ending Injury
- Fair Eva First Stakes Winner for Frankel
- Enola Gray Still Unbeaten After Del Mar Romp
- 7-Year-Old Gelding Wins First Start at Ellis
- Highland Reel Leads Every Step in King George
- Blame Angel Wins a Day After Trainer's Death
- Apprentice Aparicio Rides First U.S. Winner