Trainer James K. Chapman, who has been based in California for a decade, recently purchased a farm in Florida and will be active in both states next year.
The late John Mabee's Golden Eagle Farm colors were prominent during the opening week at Hollywood Park
Starrer made up for tough luck earlier in the year, coming from off the pace under Jerry Bailey to win the grade II, $150,000 Bayakoa Handicap by one length over game California-bred filly Queenie Belle at Hollywood Parkon Saturday. In the day's third graded stakes, Garrett Gomez guided Brazilian-bred Verruma to a half-length victory over Vencera in the $150,000 Dahlia Handicap.
Spook Express, the probable favorite for the $500,000 Matriarch next Sunday, worked an easy half mile on the Hollywood Park turf course in :50.60 under regular rider Mike Smith.
Brazilian-bred Verruma tracked the early pacesetters, then rallied through the stretch to win her division of the $137,875 Athenia Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Belmont Park Friday. Chilean-bred Babae, who Verruma beat in a June allowance race at Belmont, won the second division.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- Top 3-Year-Old Fillies to Battle in Cotillion
- Kandaly, 1994 Louisiana Derby Winner, Dies
- Oaklawn to Offer Bonuses for Lasix-Free Wins
- 2013 Breeding Activity Statistics Released
- Jockey Club: Study Shows Lasix Not Needed
- Wise Dan and His Quarter Horse Buddy Donnie
- Top Stallion Street Cry Dead at Age 16
- Study Examines EIPH and Racing Performance
- Breeders Sales Co. Expects Strong Auction