Jockey Patricia Cooksey, the all-time leading female rider at Churchill Downs, has been named as a finalist for the New York Racing Association's (NYRA) 2003 Mike Venezia Award, which goes to riders who "exemplify extraordinary sportsmanship and citizenship."
Mike Luzzi has been named the winner of the 2001 Mike Venezia Memorial Award by the New York Racing Association. The award honors riders who exemplify extraordinary sportsmanship and citizenship, qualities exhibited by the jockey for whom the award is named. It is voted on by a ballot of racing fans, sports writers, and jockeys.
Most Popular Stories
- Bayern, 'Chrome Work Toward Possible Rematch
- Is Early Detection of Arthritis in Horses Finally a Reality?
- Juvenile Catalina Red Sets Tampa Track Mark
- Lady Pimpernel Gets First U.S. Win in Frankel
- Shared Belief Sprints to Game Malibu Triumph
- Apprentice Rider Ramgeet Out Indefinitely
- Jockey Bain, 62, Wins Again at Gulfstream
- Taris to be Sidelined After Injury in La Brea
- Distinctiv Passion Rockets to Midnight Lute
- Ghost Bay Breaks Maiden in Maryland Juvenile