Multiple graded-stakes winner Tout Charmant heads a field of nine fillies and mares going 1 1/8 miles on the turf in the $150,000 grade III San Gorgonio at Santa Anita Park Sunday. The 6-year-old Slewvescent mare, who finished second to Perfect Sting in the 2000 Breeders' Cup Filly and Mare Turf, will have to run well to keep her racing career going. If she shows signs of slowing down, she will likely keep a date with Storm Cat in the breeding shed.
Starrer made up for tough luck earlier in the year, coming from off the pace under Jerry Bailey to win the grade II, $150,000 Bayakoa Handicap by one length over game California-bred filly Queenie Belle at Hollywood Parkon Saturday. In the day's third graded stakes, Garrett Gomez guided Brazilian-bred Verruma to a half-length victory over Vencera in the $150,000 Dahlia Handicap.
Most Popular Stories
- Curalina Opens Year with La Troienne Win
- Derby Observations, Strategy, and Wagers
- Routine, Quiet Oaks Morning on Backside
- Nyquist Draws Post 13, is 3-1 Derby Favorite
- Field of 22 Set for 142nd Kentucky Derby
- NBC Offers Virtual Kentucky Derby Experience
- Derby by the Speed Numbers
- Unlocking Winners Kentucky Derby 142 Analysis
- Force the Pass Heads Fort Marcy
- Team Optimistic, Nyquist 'Full of Energy'