Multiple graded-stakes winner Tout Charmant heads a field of nine fillies and mares going 1 1/8 miles on the turf in the $150,000 grade III San Gorgonio at Santa Anita Park Sunday. The 6-year-old Slewvescent mare, who finished second to Perfect Sting in the 2000 Breeders' Cup Filly and Mare Turf, will have to run well to keep her racing career going. If she shows signs of slowing down, she will likely keep a date with Storm Cat in the breeding shed.
Starrer made up for tough luck earlier in the year, coming from off the pace under Jerry Bailey to win the grade II, $150,000 Bayakoa Handicap by one length over game California-bred filly Queenie Belle at Hollywood Parkon Saturday. In the day's third graded stakes, Garrett Gomez guided Brazilian-bred Verruma to a half-length victory over Vencera in the $150,000 Dahlia Handicap.
Most Popular Stories
- Big Blue Kitten Takes United Nations
- Shaman Ghost Rallies to Take Queen's Plate
- Filly is First Winner for Albertus Maximus
- Favorite Tale Upsets Champion Work All Week
- Bradester Too Strong in Salvator Mile
- Grand Bili Upsets Barbados in Carry Back
- American Pharoah to Haskell
- Merry Meadow Wins Princess Rooney in Return
- Lady Eli Sparkles in Belmont Oaks
- Aldous Snow Repeats in Singspiel Stakes