Multiple graded-stakes winner Tout Charmant heads a field of nine fillies and mares going 1 1/8 miles on the turf in the $150,000 grade III San Gorgonio at Santa Anita Park Sunday. The 6-year-old Slewvescent mare, who finished second to Perfect Sting in the 2000 Breeders' Cup Filly and Mare Turf, will have to run well to keep her racing career going. If she shows signs of slowing down, she will likely keep a date with Storm Cat in the breeding shed.
Starrer made up for tough luck earlier in the year, coming from off the pace under Jerry Bailey to win the grade II, $150,000 Bayakoa Handicap by one length over game California-bred filly Queenie Belle at Hollywood Parkon Saturday. In the day's third graded stakes, Garrett Gomez guided Brazilian-bred Verruma to a half-length victory over Vencera in the $150,000 Dahlia Handicap.
Most Popular Stories
- White-Headed Foal Named Southern Phantom
- Six Neglected Horses Cleared to Leave Farm
- Gaudet, Amoss to Join Saratoga Live Team
- Kentucky Neglect Case Under Investigation
- Fewer Fatalities Tied to Risk-Factor Changes
- A New Brand of Hero
- Tampa Bay Downs Ready for Summer Festival
- Thoroughbred Makeover Tickets Now for Sale
- No Horses Injured in Pennsylvania Barn Fire
- Major Expansion Planned for Aqueduct Casino