Jockey Harry Vega reached the 3,000-win plateau in Tuesday's ninth race at Philadelphia Park when he guided Quies to victory by 5 3/4 lengths.
Xtra Heat gutted out a neck-length victory over Gold Mover in Sunday's Belmont Park feature, the 52nd running of the $150,000 Vagrancy Handicap (gr. II) for fillies and mares 3-years-old and older.
Mack Fehsenfeld's 8-year-old Key Lory overcame an eight-month layoff to earn his fourth consecutive victory in Saturday's $100,000 Red Bank Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Monmouth Park. Under Harry Vega. Key Lory completed the mile in 1:35.92 on the firm turf course.
Xtra Heat earned her third win in four starts as a 4-year-old and her 20th in 26 career starts when she went wire-to-wire in Sunday's $150,000 Genuine Risk Handicap (gr. II) at Belmont Park.
The Maryland Jockey Club has been taking all kinds of extra heat from legislators, the Maryland Racing Commission, and horsemen's groups lately, but they didn't mind the kind of extra heat they got Feb. 16 with the 49th running of the $200,000 Barbara Fritchie Handicap (gr. II).
Most Popular Stories
- Leroidesanimaux Dies at 16
- Kentucky Suspends Umarov for 10 Years
- Destin Work is 'Stamina Builder' for Belmont
- Rockingham to End All Operations Aug. 31
- Little Nappy is Shackleford's First Winner
- Taris Could Opt for Triple Bend Over Vanity
- Velasquez to Ride Full-Time at Gulfstream
- Catch a Glimpse Probable for Penn Mile
- Governor Malibu Has Strong Work for Belmont
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever