With no standout apparent in the 3-year-old turf division in Southern California this summer, trainer Julio Canani could well hold the trump card in the $400,000 Del Mar Derby (gr. IIT) Sept. 2 with the French import Stoneside.
Undefeated in three starts this year for trainer Ben Cecil, Worldly is the 121-pound high weight in a field of nine 3-year-olds entered for the $150,000 La Jolla Handicap (gr. IIT) Aug. 11 at Del Mar.
Before 42,842 -- the largest opening-day crowd in its history -- Del Mar unveiled Polytrack as its new main track racing surface July 18 while featuring three divisions of the Oceanside Stakes for 3-year-olds at one mile over the grass.
Golden Balls, an Irish-bred import whose name celebrates the soccer accomplishments of British superstar David Beckham, rallied furiously Saturday to nail odds-on favorite Desert Code in the final strides of Santa Anita's $108,300 La Puente Stakes for 3-year-olds at one mile on turf.
Star Inside makes his United States debut in Saturday's $100,000 La Puente Stakes at Santa Anita. Trainer Jack Carava expects the Irish-bred son of Key of Luck to perform better in the afternoon than he has in the morning.
Whatsthescript and Warning Zone, one-two finishers in the Pinjara a month ago at Santa Anita, validated that effort while rallying to win $75,000 divisions of the Generous Stakes (gr. IIIT) for 2-year-olds impressively on the Hollywood Park turf Friday.
Most Popular Stories
- Semper Fortis Takes Ralis' Spot in Pegasus World Cup
- Gun Runner Likely Out of Pegasus World Cup
- Keen Ice to Calumet Upon Retirement
- California Chrome Again Horse of the Year
- Tepin Gets Serious in Latest Work
- Suddenbreakingnews Set to Return at Oaklawn
- Shaman Ghost Works Bullet in Pegasus Prep
- Sherman Staying in the Moment With California Chrome
- OBS to Offer Experienced Racehorses, Yearlings, Mares
- One More Time: California Chrome Sizzles in Final Work