With no standout apparent in the 3-year-old turf division in Southern California this summer, trainer Julio Canani could well hold the trump card in the $400,000 Del Mar Derby (gr. IIT) Sept. 2 with the French import Stoneside.
Undefeated in three starts this year for trainer Ben Cecil, Worldly is the 121-pound high weight in a field of nine 3-year-olds entered for the $150,000 La Jolla Handicap (gr. IIT) Aug. 11 at Del Mar.
Before 42,842 -- the largest opening-day crowd in its history -- Del Mar unveiled Polytrack as its new main track racing surface July 18 while featuring three divisions of the Oceanside Stakes for 3-year-olds at one mile over the grass.
Golden Balls, an Irish-bred import whose name celebrates the soccer accomplishments of British superstar David Beckham, rallied furiously Saturday to nail odds-on favorite Desert Code in the final strides of Santa Anita's $108,300 La Puente Stakes for 3-year-olds at one mile on turf.
Star Inside makes his United States debut in Saturday's $100,000 La Puente Stakes at Santa Anita. Trainer Jack Carava expects the Irish-bred son of Key of Luck to perform better in the afternoon than he has in the morning.
Whatsthescript and Warning Zone, one-two finishers in the Pinjara a month ago at Santa Anita, validated that effort while rallying to win $75,000 divisions of the Generous Stakes (gr. IIIT) for 2-year-olds impressively on the Hollywood Park turf Friday.
Most Popular Stories
- Churchill Downs Inc. Names Carstanjen CEO
- Goldencents vs. Wise Dan Showdown Likely
- Back on Dirt at Keeneland; New Track Opens
- Ohio Moves to Increase Losing Mount Fees
- Keeneland's New Dirt Track
- Speedy Moreno Dangerous Again in Woodward
- Indicators Drop at Ocala August Yearling Sale
- Target on Wise Dan for Bernard Baruch Return
- Santa Anita's Main Track to Reopen Sept. 2
- Solis Returns to California to Ride Full Time