Eight Hall of Fame jockeys - with combined earnings of over $1.5 billion from 49,163 victories - will compete in a pari-mutuel wagering event, "The Living Legends Race," on Oct. 18 during the Oak Tree at Santa Anita meet as a prelude to the following weekend's Breeders' Cup World Championships.
Hall of Fame trainer Frank Yewell Whiteley Jr., the hard-nosed "Fox of Laurel" and conditioner of superstars Ruffian, Damascus, and Forego, died today in Camden, S.C.
An agreement has been reached between Frank Whiteley and Jacinto Vasquez, the respective trainer and jockey of the top racemare Ruffian; the Walt Disney Company ABC; ESPN; and a movie production company over a movie about the filly.
Since making his first claim of Sunkosi for $25,000 at Fair Grounds on Feb. 2, owner Michael Gill has claimed 16 horses for a total of $438,500.
On a rainy day at Belmont Park, Ogden Mills Phipps' favored Storm Flag Flying, in just her second career start, demolished Sunday's 96th running of the $200,000 Matron (gr. I) for 2-year-olds, winning by 12 3/4 lengths.
<b>Saratoga Notebook:</b> Repent Shows He's Ready for Gold Cup; Still No Answer in Warners' Case; Veitch Returns; Stakes Runners Work
Travers (gr.I) runner-up Repent is being pointed for the Jockey Club Gold Cup (gr.I) on Sept. 28, trainer Kenny McPeek said Wednesday.
Two-year-old fillies will be in the spotlight this Friday when the grade 1, $200,000 Spinaway at seven furlongs is run.
Trainer John Veitch ended a long dry spell in New York racing when Shortleaf Stable's Vasquez posted a game nose victory over Western Rush in the sixth race at Saratoga on Thursday.
Most Popular Stories
- Jockey Chapa Faces Felony Race-Fixing Charges
- Final Call for Taylors of Seattle Slew Fame
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for Jan. 27, 2015
- Washington Owner/Breeder Paxton Dead at 76
- Nerud-Owned and Bred Colt Wins at Big A
- The Week in Photos for 1/27/2015
- Jan. 28 Live Racing at Aqueduct Canceled
- Barretts Gross Up; Average, Median Decline
- WGOH: Avoiding the Nuclear Option
- Keeping Pace: Upstart Figures to Improve