Trainer Mike de Kock is eyeing the Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) after his South African champion Variety Club dominated rivals in the Champions Mile (HK-I) May 4 at Sha Tin.
Coverage of the Godolphin Mile from the walking ring, to the running of the race, to the post-race interviews with the connections of winner Variety Club. Watch Video
Boldly overcoming his wide draw, South Africa's Variety Club made all the pace and won the $1 million Godolphin Mile (UAE-II) over defending victor Soft Falling Rain March 29 at Meydan.
Trainer Joey Ramsden talks about 2-time South African Horse of the Year, Variety Club, who runs in the Godolphin Mile. Watch Video
Godolphin's Australian group I winner Long John handily dispatched 10 overmatched rivals at the top of the stretch and romped away to win the $250,000 United Arab Emirates Two Thousand Guineas (UAE-III) Feb. 13 at Meydan.
Variety Club joined a select group of great South African Thoroughbreds named Horse of the Year on more than one occasion when he was honored for the second year in a row at a glittering ceremony in Johannesburg Aug. 14.
South Africa's reigning Horse of the Year claimed his second group I victory of the year in the Rising Sun Gold Challenge.
Derek Brugman, Racing Manager - Markus & Ingrid Jooste talks about 2012 South African Horse of the Year Variety Club, whose future plans include the Breeders' Cup Mile. Watch Video
South African Horse of the Year Variety Club, narrowly beaten in last year's L'Ormarins Queen's Plate (SAf-I), would not be denied this year when scoring a clear victory Jan. 12 at Kenilworth in Cape Town.
Most Popular Stories
- Belle Gallantey Steals Delaware Handicap
- Doinghardtimeagain Grinds Out Great Lady M.
- Empire Dreams Lands New York Derby
- The Pizza Man Gets Dough in Stars and Stripes
- Featured Horse Profile: Ben's Cat
- Closing Divine Oath Snatches American Derby
- Shakin It Up Retired, To Stand at Spendthrift
- Arlington Lover I'm Already Sexy Aces Modesty
- Finnegans Wake Gets Nod in Arlington 'Cap
- Ben's Cat Claims Thrilling Parx Dash 3-Peat