Godolphin's Australian group I winner Long John handily dispatched 10 overmatched rivals at the top of the stretch and romped away to win the $250,000 United Arab Emirates Two Thousand Guineas (UAE-III) Feb. 13 at Meydan.
Variety Club joined a select group of great South African Thoroughbreds named Horse of the Year on more than one occasion when he was honored for the second year in a row at a glittering ceremony in Johannesburg Aug. 14.
South Africa's reigning Horse of the Year claimed his second group I victory of the year in the Rising Sun Gold Challenge.
Derek Brugman, Racing Manager - Markus & Ingrid Jooste talks about 2012 South African Horse of the Year Variety Club, whose future plans include the Breeders' Cup Mile. Watch Video
South African Horse of the Year Variety Club, narrowly beaten in last year's L'Ormarins Queen's Plate (SAf-I), would not be denied this year when scoring a clear victory Jan. 12 at Kenilworth in Cape Town.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Santa Ana Features Return of Emollient
- 'Derby Poker Bourbon Bash' to Benefit TCA
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- NH House Rejects Expanded Gaming Bill Again
- Game On Dude Heads World's Best Racehorses