Progeny of leading sire Var dominated South Africa's premier day of sprints at Scottsville racecourse May 24.
Trainer Mike de Kock is eyeing the Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) after his South African champion Variety Club dominated rivals in the Champions Mile (HK-I) May 4 at Sha Tin.
Brilliant 4-year-old filly Via Africa was an impressive winner of the 1 million rand (US$90,170) Cape Flying Championship (SAf-I) at Kenilworth Jan. 25.
South Africa's reigning Horse of the Year claimed his second group I victory of the year in the Rising Sun Gold Challenge.
South African Horse of the Year Variety Club, narrowly beaten in last year's L'Ormarins Queen's Plate (SAf-I), would not be denied this year when scoring a clear victory Jan. 12 at Kenilworth in Cape Town.
Battle Won, the lone American runner in the Dec.12 Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Sprint (HK-I) at Sha Tin, drew post five in a field of 13 runners for the $10 million (HK) 1,000-meter (five furlong) race. The four-race Cathay Pacific Hong Kong International race card was drawn inside the new $410-million (HK) retractable roof walking ring at Sha Tin.
Var, a Kentucky-bred son of Forest Wildcat who was formerly in the barn of Bill Mott, registered a front-running half-length win in the Prix de L'Abbaye (Fr-I) under Frankie Dettori Sunday at Longchamp.
Most Popular Stories
- Stall Guns for Departing's Grade I in Whitney
- Wise Dan Won't Run in Fourstardave
- Darley's Hard Spun to Return From Japan
- Del Mar Once Again Shifting Races Off Turf
- Millionaire Halo Dolly Retired from Racing
- Horse Returned, But Entry Clerk Out of a Job
- Keeneland September Catalogs More Than 4,000
- Best Pal is Next Chapter for Story to Tell
- Seagram Cup Next on Sky Captain's Itinerary
- Handle Declines at Churchill-Owned Tracks