One race before trainer Graham Motion saddles Went the Day Well in the May 19 Preakness (gr. II) at Pimlico Race Course, he will send out Augustin Stables' Smart Bid, the 7-2 overnight favorite in the Dixie Stakes (gr. IIT).
A well-matched field of eight older horses have been entered in the $250,000 Hawthorne Gold Cup (gr. II) at Hawthorne Racecourse on Oct. 2.
James Spence's El Caballo shook off a more than seven-month layoff to earn his first stakes victory, as he rolled to an easy 3 1/4-length win in the $100,000 Colonel E.R. Bradley Handicap (gr. IIIT) Jan. 23 at Fair Grounds.
James Spence's El Caballo, a grade II runner-up last year, returns off a seven-month layoff as the 121-pound high weight in the $100,000 Colonel E.R. Bradley Handicap (gr. IIIT) Jan. 23 at Fair Grounds.
Odds-on favorite Soldier's Dancer scored a repeat victory in the $250,000 PTHA President's Cup on the turf at Philadelphia Park Sept. 19, drawing away in deep stretch to score by three lengths.
Criticism, winner of two grade III stakes in her four American starts, is the 121-pound highweight in the $150,000 La Prevoyante Handicap (gr. IIT), the first of two turf stakes events on the opening Saturday of the spring/summer meet at Calder Race Course April 25.
Kinsman Stable's Vanquisher and Hardacre Farm's Kiss the Kid, the only two starters with stakes wins so far this season, lead a wide-open field of 11 older horses in the $100,000 Appleton Handicap (gr. IIIT)on the Gulfstream turf March 28.
Hobeau Farm's homebred Delightful Kiss will make his first start on grass since May 2007 and use the $150,000 Canadian Turf (gr. IIIT) as a prep for his trip to Dubai next month. The 5-year-old gelding will face 10 older rivals in the one-mile contest Feb. 28 at Gulfstream Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Albarado Fractures Ankle, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Santa Anita Cancels April 27 Racing
- Irad Ortiz Jr. Wins Aqueduct Riding Title
- Dolphus Outruns Quality Field at Aqueduct
- Pricey Filly Tops OBS Pinhook Prospects
- Reach the World Euthanized After Training Injury
- J Boys Echo Breezes Five Furlongs at Churchill
- Stormy Liberal Wins Third Straight Stakes
- Imperative Repeats in Charles Town Classic
- Party Boat Upsets Fifty Five in Memories of Silver