Gary Barber's Monster Bea and Abbondanza Racing's Free Rose, who won the first two legs of the Del Mar turf series for 3-year-olds, will have a rubber match of sorts Sept. 4 in the Del Mar Derby (gr. IIT).
Rocket Heat led virtually the whole way and blasted to victory in the Twin Spires Turf Sprint on the Longines Kentucky Oaks undercard at Churchill Downs May 6.
Del Mar Turf Club reported that its "Ship and Win" program, in which horsemen bringing runners from out-of-state are rewarded with bonus payments when those horses start during the current meet, is proving successful.
The executive committee of the Washington Thoroughbred Breeders Association has hired Duane Belvoir to replace general manager Ralph Vacca, who is retiring after 46 years with the WTBA. Vacca has been the association's general manager since 1970.
Jockey Gary Stevens on Tuesday hired agent Brian Beach to handle his book effective opening day of the Santa Anita Park meeting Dec. 26. Beach also books mounts for Mike Smith.
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Upsets Risen Star Stakes
- Dortmund Could Return in Triple Bend
- Farrell Vaults to Top of Kentucky Oaks Leaderboard
- Irish War Cry Ticks All the Boxes in Five-Furlong Work
- Winx Soars to Fifteenth Straight Win
- Yorkiepoo Princess Scores Again at Aqueduct
- Unified Edges Mind Your Biscuits in GP Sprint
- Honorable Duty Holds Strong in Mineshaft Handicap
- Convey Edges Out Winter Derby Victory
- Albin Jimenez Rides 1,000th Winner