Gary Barber's Monster Bea and Abbondanza Racing's Free Rose, who won the first two legs of the Del Mar turf series for 3-year-olds, will have a rubber match of sorts Sept. 4 in the Del Mar Derby (gr. IIT).
Rocket Heat led virtually the whole way and blasted to victory in the Twin Spires Turf Sprint on the Longines Kentucky Oaks undercard at Churchill Downs May 6.
Del Mar Turf Club reported that its "Ship and Win" program, in which horsemen bringing runners from out-of-state are rewarded with bonus payments when those horses start during the current meet, is proving successful.
The executive committee of the Washington Thoroughbred Breeders Association has hired Duane Belvoir to replace general manager Ralph Vacca, who is retiring after 46 years with the WTBA. Vacca has been the association's general manager since 1970.
Jockey Gary Stevens on Tuesday hired agent Brian Beach to handle his book effective opening day of the Santa Anita Park meeting Dec. 26. Beach also books mounts for Mike Smith.
Most Popular Stories
- Racing's Stars Set for Santa Anita Saturday
- Pinhooking Rookie Scores Big at Keeneland
- Texas Chrome Pointing to Dirt Mile
- Eddie D. Stakes Split Into Divisions
- California Chrome Arrives at Santa Anita
- Team Block relocating Fort Prado to Indiana
- NBC Will Air Pegasus World Cup
- Songbird Untouchable in Cotillion
- Amid Gloomy Forecast, Illinois Sets Dates
- Broadcast Honors for Santa Anita, NYRA