A talented cast of seven older males are looking to add a grade I victory to their resumes when they contend in the Aug. 8 Alfred G. Vanderbilt Handicap at Saratoga.
The Eclipse Award voting is still more than five months away, but the star-studded $250,000 Alfred G. Vanderbilt Handicap (gr. II) Aug. 9 at Saratoga may go a long way in deciding the nation's top sprinter.
Favored Abraaj, under a vigorous ride from Alan Garcia, earned his first stakes victory when he rallied from far off the pace to win the $250,000 Alfred G. Vanderbilt Handicap (gr. II) at Saratoga July 26.
Although slowed by a fever that knocked him out of the Metropolitan Handicap (gr. I), undefeated Bustin Stones should be ready for a top effort in the $250,000 Alfred G. Vanderbilt Handicap (gr. II) at Saratoga July 26, trainer Bruce Levine says.
Fans of Saratoga Race Course can't wait for the track to open its 140th season Wednesday, July 23 and they won't have to wait much longer for the high-quality stakes races that make the Spa one of Thoroughbred racing's top meetings.
TVG announced July 25 that it will offer extended opening weekend coverage from Saratoga to air Saturday and Sunday, July 28-29. Opening weekend will include the debut of the $25,000 Breeders' Cup Challenge contest for TVG account holders.
Most Popular Stories
- Champion Divine Fortune Dies After Fall
- Average, Median Rise at Doncaster Sale
- Smart Strike Stallion Sons
- First Winner for Desert Key
- Glen Hill Farm to Sponsor One Dreamer Stakes
- American Pharoah Takes Easy Gallop at Spa
- Belmont Winner Palace Malice Retired
- NBC Schedules Two-Hour Travers Broadcast
- Swagger Jack Moves to Dana Point
- Travers Stakes: High Anxiety