Alysheba, a Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner and Horse of the Year, was euthanized March 27 at Hagyard Equine Medical Institute near Lexington.
Trainer Mark Hennig won his 1,000th race Nov. 11 when Dinner Break captured the sixth race on closing night at Meadowlands Nov. 10.
Trainer Steve Asmussen broke Jack Van Berg's 28-year-old record for wins in a single season when he collected his 497th victory of 2004 on Saturday night at Delta Downs.
Sonic West, winner of the Razorback Handicap (gr. III) at Oaklawn Park, is the 3-1 morning line second choice in Monday's Lone Star Park Handicap (gr. III), the $300,000 feature race on a seven-stakes Lone Star Million program on Memorial Day .
Sonic West, ridden patiently by Willie Martinez, took advantage of a pace duel between Crafty Shaw and 3-5 favorite Pie N Burger to win the $100,000 Razorback Handicap (gr. III) at Oaklawn Park Sunday.
Trainer Scott Lake saddled his 400th winner of the year Sunday at Philadelphia Park when Skipjack Cove went wire-to-wire to win a 5 1/2-furlong claiming event. Lake joins Jack Van Berg (495) as the only trainers to win 400 or more races in a year.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Beholder Fires Bullet, Ready to Rumble
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Nyquist Improving; Exaggerator Jogs Two Miles
- Centeno Recovering in Florida After Spill
- Making the Grade: Exaggerator's Belmont Shot
- Woodward, Hancock to Racing Hall of Fame
- Court Order Has Preciado Racing Again at Parx
- Nine Honored at Walk of Champions Gala