Alysheba, a Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner and Horse of the Year, was euthanized March 27 at Hagyard Equine Medical Institute near Lexington.
Trainer Mark Hennig won his 1,000th race Nov. 11 when Dinner Break captured the sixth race on closing night at Meadowlands Nov. 10.
Trainer Steve Asmussen broke Jack Van Berg's 28-year-old record for wins in a single season when he collected his 497th victory of 2004 on Saturday night at Delta Downs.
Sonic West, winner of the Razorback Handicap (gr. III) at Oaklawn Park, is the 3-1 morning line second choice in Monday's Lone Star Park Handicap (gr. III), the $300,000 feature race on a seven-stakes Lone Star Million program on Memorial Day .
Sonic West, ridden patiently by Willie Martinez, took advantage of a pace duel between Crafty Shaw and 3-5 favorite Pie N Burger to win the $100,000 Razorback Handicap (gr. III) at Oaklawn Park Sunday.
Trainer Scott Lake saddled his 400th winner of the year Sunday at Philadelphia Park when Skipjack Cove went wire-to-wire to win a 5 1/2-furlong claiming event. Lake joins Jack Van Berg (495) as the only trainers to win 400 or more races in a year.
Most Popular Stories
- Frac Daddy Inherits San Diego's Favorite Role
- Dance With Fate Euthanized After Accident
- Untapable Favored in Haskell Against Boys
- Candy Boy Among 47 West Virginia Derby Noms
- Pants On Fire Seeks Monmouth Cup Repeat
- Keeneland Begins Installation of Dirt Surface
- Enhanced Security for Whitney, Travers Horses
- New York Horsemen Commit Money to Jockey Fund
- Monmouth-Winning Fillies Target Molly Pitcher
- Maybry's Boy to E.A. Ranches