Andrea Young has been promoted to president and chief operating officer of Sam Houston Race Park and Valley Race Park in Texas, parent company MAXXAM Inc. announced Jan. 13. Young also joins the company's board of directors.
Despite competition for wagering dollars and horses, the Texas Racing Commission granted three Class II racetrack licenses--one of them conditionally--at its March 20 meeting.
Maxxam, the industry conglomerate that owns Sam Houston Race Park, posted a huge first quarter loss after its aluminum operation declared bankruptcy. The bankruptcy is not expected to affect racing operations.
Most Popular Stories
- Haskin: Dr. Fager, Where Are You?
- Mucho Macho Man to Race in 2014
- Hialeah May Push for Thoroughbred License
- And They're Off: Hollywood Park Farewell
- Ramseys Ready for Claiming Crown
- NYRA Budget Passes, But Not Without Debate
- Butler Gets Five-Year Suspension
- Online Stallion Season Auction Set for Iowa
- Erskine Says Juddmonte Group Not for Sale
- Rosalind Heads Hollywood Starlet