John Pierce's homebred Mystery Classic, a winner of five consecutive stakes last year, will be honored as the 2007 Texas Horse of the Year and champion older horse by the Texas Thoroughbred Association. Mystery Classic is trained by Robert Schultz.
Texas-breds will take the spotlight at Sam Houston Race Park Dec. 1 for the track's annual Texas Champion Day program, which features eight restricted stakes worth more than $500,000.
Two-year-old gelding Gold Coyote stole the show on Lone Star Park's seventh annual "Stars of Texas" program with a jaw-dropping 10-length romp over Spark Plug in the $125,000 Staunch Avenger division of the Texas Stallion Stakes Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Bayern Wires Haskell; Favored Untapable 5th
- Big Macher Collects Grade I Bing Crosby Win
- Antipathy Convincing Winner in Muddy Shuvee
- Tonalist, Kid Cruz Exit Jim Dandy Well
- Guys Reward Finds Path to Oceanport Tally
- Valid Breaks Through With Monmouth Cup Win
- Starstruck Back to Winning Ways in Matchmaker
- Del Mar Shifting Turf Races After Breakdowns
- Ageless Equals Course Record in Royal North
- Majestic River Rolls to Molly Pitcher Win