The Texas Thoroughbred Association will honor three horsemen with the T.I. "Pops" Harkins Award for lifetime achievement during its annual meeting and awards banquet June 20 at Lone Star Park.
Ruth Claflin, 64, a popular racehorse trainer in Texas for more than 30 years known for her positive attitude and tireless work ethic, died Thursday morning when her pickup truck was broadsided while shipping horses to train at Valhalla Farm in Rockdale, Texas.
James Jackson stood at the summit of Thoroughbred racing during the first Saturday in May in 1999 when his 3-year-old gelding Valhol started in the Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs. However, his memory of the Run for the Roses and what occurred a few weeks before have finally spurred the 49-year-old Texan to retire from racing.
Most Popular Stories
- Irap Gets Best of Girvin in Ohio Derby
- California Sire Benchmark Dead at 26
- Battle of Midway Cruises to Affirmed Victory
- Collected Dominant Again in Precisionist Stakes
- 'Hermaphrodite' Reported Before Race at Santa Anita
- Brothers in Arms: Idaho Takes Hardwicke Stakes
- Finley'sluckycharm Makes it Three in a Row in Chicago
- Mind Your Biscuits Emerges Well From Bullet Work
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup