The Texas Thoroughbred Association will honor three horsemen with the T.I. "Pops" Harkins Award for lifetime achievement during its annual meeting and awards banquet June 20 at Lone Star Park.
Ruth Claflin, 64, a popular racehorse trainer in Texas for more than 30 years known for her positive attitude and tireless work ethic, died Thursday morning when her pickup truck was broadsided while shipping horses to train at Valhalla Farm in Rockdale, Texas.
James Jackson stood at the summit of Thoroughbred racing during the first Saturday in May in 1999 when his 3-year-old gelding Valhol started in the Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs. However, his memory of the Run for the Roses and what occurred a few weeks before have finally spurred the 49-year-old Texan to retire from racing.
Most Popular Stories
- Pletcher Breezes Four Kentucky Derby Hopefuls
- Classic Empire a Pro in Four-Furlong Move
- Espinoza Wins First Race After HOF Announcement
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Sano Star Gunnevera Goes Easy Five Furlongs
- Blinkers Likely for Practical Joke in Kentucky Derby
- O'Neill Confident After Irap's Mile Work
- BloodHorse.com Launches BackTrack Channel
- Vexatious Stands Out in Oaks Move
- Quiet Business Wins Bewitch on Keeneland's Closing Day