Ruth Claflin, 64, a popular racehorse trainer in Texas for more than 30 years known for her positive attitude and tireless work ethic, died Thursday morning when her pickup truck was broadsided while shipping horses to train at Valhalla Farm in Rockdale, Texas.
James Jackson stood at the summit of Thoroughbred racing during the first Saturday in May in 1999 when his 3-year-old gelding Valhol started in the Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs. However, his memory of the Run for the Roses and what occurred a few weeks before have finally spurred the 49-year-old Texan to retire from racing.
Most Popular Stories
- Live Chat - Friday, March 6 at NOON EST
- Compromise Possible for Racing in Virginia
- Convictions in Billion-Dollar Bookmaking Case
- Winter Weather Continues to Impact Racing
- Pedigree Analysis: Far From Over
- Scat Daddy Colt Tops Sale at F-T Florida
- Coffee Pot Brews a Good One in Carpe Diem
- Shared Belief a Massive Favorite in Big 'Cap
- Clubhouse Ride Retired to Stud in California
- Jockey Chapa Appeals Suspension, Fine