Designer Legs, a Louisiana-bred filly who cost $10,000 at auction and began her career in the upper Midwest, shipped into Saratoga Race Course and emerged with a grade II victory to her credit in the Adirondack Stakes.
After challenging for command entering the lane, Stormy West withstood late challenges from Final Refrain and Barbette to capture the inaugural running of the $60,000 Blushing K.D. Handicap, the co-feature on a wet opening day to Fair Grounds' 137th season Nov. 14.
Favored Ide Like a Double rallied gamely to win the $200,000 Evangeline Mile by one length in an Evangeline Downs track-record time Aug. 16.
Jockey Gerard Melancon recorded the 3,000th victory of his career in the ninth race, a $31,000 entry level allowance race for Louisiana breds, Thursday evening at Evangeline Downs Racetrack and Casino.
Front-running Connor's Call, owned by Valene Farms, won the $91,485 colts and geldings division, while Marcia LaMarche's Anything But Quiet came from off the pace to win the $93,685 fillies division of the Louisiana Futurity Friday at Fair Grounds.
Increases were registered across the board Aug. 6 at the Louisiana Thoroughbred Breeders Sales Co.'s annual summer mixed sale. The auction was held at the Blackham Coliseum in Lafayette, La.
Toby's Success, who set a track record for 5 1/2 furlongs at Fair Grounds last month, collapsed and died while galloping out following a third-place finish in the $100,000 Louisiana Premier Night Sprint at Delta Downs on Saturday.
Outright Buck made every pole a winning one in taking the $69,000 Fair Grounds Sales Stakes Sunday at Fair Grounds.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Fast and Accurate Scores Spiral Upset
- Farrell Poised for Next Test in Fair Grounds Oaks
- Fear the Cowboy Takes Skip Away in Late Drive
- Juvenile Sales Scene Moves West to Barretts
- Thunder Snow Gets Up in UAE Derby
- Mind Your Biscuits Rises to Occasion in Golden Shaheen
- Fields Set for Louisiana Derby, Fair Grounds Oaks
- I Thought I had Seen it All
- Second Summer Catches Sharp Azteca in Godolphin Mile