The Thoroughbred suffering from equine herpesvirus that led to a 21-day quarantine at Payson Park Thoroughbred Training Center in Indiantown, Fla., has necessitated a similar quarantine in Virginia.
Steeplechaser Crompton "Tommy" Smith has died, as reported by Kentucky horseman Stanley Petter Jr. The Virginia-bred trained and rode Jay Trump to victory in the 1965 Grand National Steeplechase at Aintree in England.
- By Nick Hahn
The purchase of the Maryland-Virginia Racing Circuit was approved at a special meeting of the Virginia Racing Commission Sept. 28. The management entity of Colonial Downs was purchased for $10 million by Colonial Downs from the Maryland Jockey Club which is owned by Magna Entertainment.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Impresses at Santa Anita
- Far From Over Victorious in Return
- How a Sire Line Develops
- Phantom Dollars Flood Track's Double Pool
- Fairplex, Santa Anita House Evacuated Horses
- Exclusive Contest: Name the White-Headed Foal
- Mohaymen Back to Work in New York
- Too Early to Gauge 'Brexit' Effect on Sales
- Putting Uncle Mo in Perspective
- Nyquist to Work in Afternoon at Santa Anita