The Thoroughbred suffering from equine herpesvirus that led to a 21-day quarantine at Payson Park Thoroughbred Training Center in Indiantown, Fla., has necessitated a similar quarantine in Virginia.
Steeplechaser Crompton "Tommy" Smith has died, as reported by Kentucky horseman Stanley Petter Jr. The Virginia-bred trained and rode Jay Trump to victory in the 1965 Grand National Steeplechase at Aintree in England.
- By Nick Hahn
The purchase of the Maryland-Virginia Racing Circuit was approved at a special meeting of the Virginia Racing Commission Sept. 28. The management entity of Colonial Downs was purchased for $10 million by Colonial Downs from the Maryland Jockey Club which is owned by Magna Entertainment.
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Paradise Woods Records Final Work for Kentucky Oaks
- Pletcher Considering Royal Ascot for American Patriot
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Past Three Winners Return for Hong Kong's QE II
- ABR Interview with Jockey Brian Hernandez Jr.
- Saez to Ride J Boys Echo in Kentucky Derby
- Derby, Oaks Notes From Churchill Downs, April 26
- Single-Day Saratoga Tickets on Sale May 3
- Syndergaard to Make 2017 Debut in William Walker