Following his impressive win in Saturday's $100,000 California Derby at Golden Gate, Kentucky Derby (gr. I) contender Cause to Believe is likely to make a visit to Hawthorne for the $500,000 Illinois Derby (gr. II) on April 8.
Preakness activity reached its peak Tuesday morning, as War Emblem, Harlan's Holiday, and Booklet worked at Churchill Downs, while Crimson Hero and U S S Tinosa tuned up at Pimlico. The accent was on light maintenance for all the workers except U S S Tinosa, who sizzled his half in :46 2/5.
High Star, third in last year's Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes, turned in a sharp 5-furlong work in 1:00 4/5 at Gulfstream Park Monday in preparation for the March 16 Florida Derby.
That's what Saratoga Blues' opponents have been doing in the colt's three career starts. The son of Twining captured Saturday's Whirlaway Stakes at Aqueduct for his third consecutive victory. At Santa Anita, USS Tinosa drew off to an impressive score in Friday's Sham Stakes, while stablemate Cappuchino had no trouble winning the Golden State Mile back home at Golden Gate.
- By Steve Haskin
Using his vast experience over the field to his advantage, USS Tinosa drew off to a 4 1/2-length victory in Friday's Sham Stakes at Santa Anita. Trained by Jerry Hollendorfer, USS Tinosa had already won or placed in six stakes, while most of his opponents were coming out of either maiden or allowance races.
Trainer Jerry Hollendorfer, who sent out Yougottawin to upset Officer in the California Cup Juvenile at Santa Anita Park, hopes to make more noise in the 2-year-old division this weekend at Hollywood Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Connect Bounces Back in Pennsylvania Derby
- Songbird Untouchable in Cotillion
- Accelerate Finds Just Enough in Los Al Derby
- 'Chrome' Logs Final Work for Awesome Again
- Miyadi Arrested After Altercation With Solis
- Senor Guitar First Winner for Star Guitar
- Lexie Lou Officially Retired
- Deeply Undervalued Wins Commonwealth Derby
- Caren, Are You Kidding Me Score at Woodbine
- Mrs McDougal Shows the Way in Noble Damsel