The largest maker of the human version of the nasal strip, GlaxoSmithKline, hopes to grab some attention for its Breathe Right nasal strips at the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) June 7 at Belmont Park.
Pimlico will honor this year's Preakness media awards winners at the May 13 Alibi Breakfast, two days before this year's Preakness (gr. I).
- By Ray Paulick
By Ray Paulick - This item of interest from the Feb. 25 issue of USA Today: a horse racing groom has the worst job in sports.
Following on its popular series "10 Hardest Things to do in Sports" last year (hitting a baseball ranked first), USA Today has undertaken to rank the "10 Toughest Athletes." In the series that began with Monday's edition of the national newspaper, jockey Julie Krone was featured as the "10th toughest athlete."
The Greatest Game, a program created to encourage more people to join the Thoroughbred industry as owners, held its second matching lottery in Lexington on July 8. The lottery gives individuals who have expressed interest in becoming owners, contact information for three advisors.
The Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships is well-represented in the Oct. 24 edition of USA Today with a four-page preview insert in the sports section that includes five stories, fields for the eight races, and selections by Turf writers and handicappers.
Links to selected online articles related to the Belmont Stakes and War Emblem's Triple Crown quest.
- By Ron Mitchell
Author Laura Hillenbrand and her best-selling book "Seabiscuit: An American Legend" continue their winning ways. In recent weeks, the book was named "Non-Fiction Book of the Year," by BookSense; hit No. 1 on the New York Times paperback non-fiction bestseller list for May 18; and was selected as this month's selection by the "USA Today Book Club."
Most Popular Stories
- Classic Empire Out of Fountain of Youth
- Epicharis Earns Japan's Kentucky Derby Bid
- Zakaroff 48-1 Stunner in El Camino Real Derby
- Gold Dream Punches Ticket to BC Classic
- Mo Town Set for 3-Year-Old Debut in Risen Star
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Royal Delta Half Brother Scores on Gulfstream Turf
- Terra Promessa Goes Gate to Wire in Bayakoa
- Curlin's Approval Stretches Out Handily in Royal Delta
- Wild At Heart Makes Short Work of Buena Vista