Pimlico will honor this year's Preakness media awards winners at the May 13 Alibi Breakfast, two days before this year's Preakness (gr. I).
- By Ray Paulick
By Ray Paulick - This item of interest from the Feb. 25 issue of USA Today: a horse racing groom has the worst job in sports.
Following on its popular series "10 Hardest Things to do in Sports" last year (hitting a baseball ranked first), USA Today has undertaken to rank the "10 Toughest Athletes." In the series that began with Monday's edition of the national newspaper, jockey Julie Krone was featured as the "10th toughest athlete."
The Greatest Game, a program created to encourage more people to join the Thoroughbred industry as owners, held its second matching lottery in Lexington on July 8. The lottery gives individuals who have expressed interest in becoming owners, contact information for three advisors.
The Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships is well-represented in the Oct. 24 edition of USA Today with a four-page preview insert in the sports section that includes five stories, fields for the eight races, and selections by Turf writers and handicappers.
Links to selected online articles related to the Belmont Stakes and War Emblem's Triple Crown quest.
Author Laura Hillenbrand and her best-selling book "Seabiscuit: An American Legend" continue their winning ways. In recent weeks, the book was named "Non-Fiction Book of the Year," by BookSense; hit No. 1 on the New York Times paperback non-fiction bestseller list for May 18; and was selected as this month's selection by the "USA Today Book Club."
Most Popular Stories
- Tapiture Takes On Rebel Invaders and Old Foes
- Social Inclusion Spoils Honor Code's Return
- Study Links Cell Damage to Corticosteroids
- Iotapa Heads Tough Lineup in Santa Margarita
- Azeri: Don't Tell Sophia Faces Close Hatches
- Sign Runs Last in Return from Lengthy Layoff
- New Standards May be Imposed on NY Stewards
- Hall of Fame Jockeys to Compete at Pimlico
- Taptowne Draws Rail in Well-Matched Razorback
- Parranda Seeks More Gulf Glory in Honey Fox