The largest maker of the human version of the nasal strip, GlaxoSmithKline, hopes to grab some attention for its Breathe Right nasal strips at the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) June 7 at Belmont Park.
Pimlico will honor this year's Preakness media awards winners at the May 13 Alibi Breakfast, two days before this year's Preakness (gr. I).
- By Ray Paulick
By Ray Paulick - This item of interest from the Feb. 25 issue of USA Today: a horse racing groom has the worst job in sports.
Following on its popular series "10 Hardest Things to do in Sports" last year (hitting a baseball ranked first), USA Today has undertaken to rank the "10 Toughest Athletes." In the series that began with Monday's edition of the national newspaper, jockey Julie Krone was featured as the "10th toughest athlete."
The Greatest Game, a program created to encourage more people to join the Thoroughbred industry as owners, held its second matching lottery in Lexington on July 8. The lottery gives individuals who have expressed interest in becoming owners, contact information for three advisors.
The Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships is well-represented in the Oct. 24 edition of USA Today with a four-page preview insert in the sports section that includes five stories, fields for the eight races, and selections by Turf writers and handicappers.
Links to selected online articles related to the Belmont Stakes and War Emblem's Triple Crown quest.
- By Ron Mitchell
Author Laura Hillenbrand and her best-selling book "Seabiscuit: An American Legend" continue their winning ways. In recent weeks, the book was named "Non-Fiction Book of the Year," by BookSense; hit No. 1 on the New York Times paperback non-fiction bestseller list for May 18; and was selected as this month's selection by the "USA Today Book Club."
Most Popular Stories
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired
- Creative Cause Filly Sells for $575,000
- Private Zone Retired to Old Friends
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017
- Derby, Oaks Notes, from Churchill Downs, April 25
- Orb Colt Grew Up, Brought $685,000 at OBS
- Three Chimneys Strikes Early for Orb Colt at $685,000
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo
- Nichols Canyon Connections Pointing for Iroquois Bonus