Trainer Christophe Clement has made quite an impression in the Tropical-at-Calder turf stakes the last decade and none more so than the $200,000 La Prevoyante Handicap (gr. II) for fillies and mares at 1 ½ miles on turf. The race is one of four stakes with a total $600,000 in purses on the Grand Slam II program at Calder Racecourse on Saturday.
German-bred Uriah wins the Long Island Handicap over soft going for owner Gary Tanaka.
A forecast for wet weather over the weekend has horsemen keeping their fingers crossed in hopes the rain will hold off until after Saturday's $150,000 Long Island Handicap (gr. IIT) for fillies and mares scheduled at a 1 1/2 mile on turf.
Most Popular Stories
- Tonalist, Wicked Strong Headline Jim Dandy
- Eight Stakes Set for Churchill in September
- Art Sherman to Receive Laffit Pincay Award
- Final Breeders' Cup Board Seats Filled
- Daring Dancer Prevails in Lake George Stakes
- Harris, Frazier Lead 2014 Washingon HOF Class
- Delaware, Horsemen Hope to Pay Late Purses
- Filly Taghrooda Takes Aim at Ascot History
- Queen's Horse Tests Positive for Morphine
- OBS Fall Sale to Include Horses of Racing Age