Iowa Oaks (gr. III) winner Uptown Bertie died Nov. 13 at Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital due to complications from colic according to co-breeder and co-owner Richard Klein.
Becky Winemiller's Wine Princess, whose sire and dam were both voted Horse of the Year, will try for consecutive graded stakes triumphs when she faces eight other 3-year-old fillies in the Indiana Oaks (gr. II).
With the division wide open midway through August, each of seven fillies entered in the 132nd edition of the 1 1/4-mile event seeks to strengthen her championship credentials with a victory Aug. 18.
Uptown Bertie made the most of her first stakes appearance by winning the $200,000 Iowa Oaks (gr. III) for 3-year-old fillies June 30 at Prairie Meadows Racetrack & Casino.
Multiple stakes winner Tapajo has the home field advantage as she takes on five rivals in the 1 1/16-mile Iowa Oaks (gr. III) at Prairie Meadows June 30.
Most Popular Stories
- Grade 1 Winner, Sire Devil His Due Dies at 28
- Desormeaux Switches Agents to Arroyo
- Cloud Computing Leaves Pimlico, Others Thinking Belmont
- Cloud Computing Wears Down Classic Empire in Preakness
- Into Mischief Filly Tops Early at Midlantic Sale
- Hips to Watch: Day 2 Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale
- Trainer Richie Scherer Dies at Age 53
- Speedy Smart Strike Filly Brings $525,000
- Smart Strike Filly Leads the Way at Midlantic Sale
- Jimmy Creed Filly Pride of Endswell's Consignment