Iowa Oaks (gr. III) winner Uptown Bertie died Nov. 13 at Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital due to complications from colic according to co-breeder and co-owner Richard Klein.
Becky Winemiller's Wine Princess, whose sire and dam were both voted Horse of the Year, will try for consecutive graded stakes triumphs when she faces eight other 3-year-old fillies in the Indiana Oaks (gr. II).
With the division wide open midway through August, each of seven fillies entered in the 132nd edition of the 1 1/4-mile event seeks to strengthen her championship credentials with a victory Aug. 18.
Uptown Bertie made the most of her first stakes appearance by winning the $200,000 Iowa Oaks (gr. III) for 3-year-old fillies June 30 at Prairie Meadows Racetrack & Casino.
Multiple stakes winner Tapajo has the home field advantage as she takes on five rivals in the 1 1/16-mile Iowa Oaks (gr. III) at Prairie Meadows June 30.
Most Popular Stories
- Game On Dude, Won Three Big 'Caps, Retired
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- Pedigree Analysis: Inbreeding Trends
- Two Dates Added to Upcoming Santa Anita Meet
- Coltimus Prime Versus Ami's Holiday Again
- Muhtafal Retired from Stud in South Africa
- Former BH Librarian Theresa Fitzgerald Dies
- TimeformUS: The G2 Pennsylvania Derby
- TVG Sweepstakes Offers Melbourne Cup Trip
- Horseman Tom Harbut Dies at Age 94