Iowa Oaks (gr. III) winner Uptown Bertie died Nov. 13 at Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital due to complications from colic according to co-breeder and co-owner Richard Klein.
Becky Winemiller's Wine Princess, whose sire and dam were both voted Horse of the Year, will try for consecutive graded stakes triumphs when she faces eight other 3-year-old fillies in the Indiana Oaks (gr. II).
With the division wide open midway through August, each of seven fillies entered in the 132nd edition of the 1 1/4-mile event seeks to strengthen her championship credentials with a victory Aug. 18.
Uptown Bertie made the most of her first stakes appearance by winning the $200,000 Iowa Oaks (gr. III) for 3-year-old fillies June 30 at Prairie Meadows Racetrack & Casino.
Multiple stakes winner Tapajo has the home field advantage as she takes on five rivals in the 1 1/16-mile Iowa Oaks (gr. III) at Prairie Meadows June 30.
Most Popular Stories
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru