Propelled by continuing demand for yearlings, the 2013 Keeneland September yearling sale ended its seventh session Sept. 16 with more gross sales than the entire sale achieved in 11 days last year.
Front-running Tar Heel Mom overpowered her four rivals in the $150,000 Honorable Miss Handicap (gr. II), drawing off in the stretch for a 5 3/4-length romp at Saratoga Aug. 7.
A colt by Van Nistelrooy brought a top price of $75,000 Sunday during the next-to-last session of Keeneland's record-breaking September Yearling Sale.
A fire early Wednesday morning resulted in the deaths of seven horses at Upson Downs Farm near Goshen, Ky. The farm is owned by Alex and Sarah Rankin, regular consignors at Kentucky auctions. The names of the seven horses weren't released. Alex Rankin said he arrived at the farm at 1:35 a.m. Wednesday, and the barn was burning. He said the fire apparently started sometime after midnight.
Most Popular Stories
- Champion Hidden Lake Dies at 23
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- Jockey Gallardo to Try Southern California
- Borell Enters Alford Plea on Cruelty Charges
- Outwork, Speightster Retire to WinStar
- Stopchargingmaria in F-T November Sale
- CHRB Allows Miyadi to Continue Training
- Santa Anita Installs Barn Surveillance System
- Another Try for Metaboss in John Henry Turf
- 'Cleopatra' Looking to Reign in Chandelier