Jockey Alex Solis won his fourth race at Gulfstream Park April 17 when odds-on choice Tar Heel Mom drew off in the stretch for a 3 1/2-length win in the $51,650 Harmony Lodge Handicap.
Tar Heel Mom, who fires nearly every time, ran another big race to begin her 6-year-old campaign, this time holding off Hilda's Passion by neck to take the $100,000 Sugar Swirl (gr. III) Jan. 15 at Gulfstream Park.
Alex Rankin's 9-5 favorite Tar Heel Mom repelled a big from Hour Glass in upper stretch and bounded home for a 2 1/2-length win in the $150,000 Distaff Handicap (gr. II) April 17 at Aqueduct.
By R. Alex Rankin - As always, Robert Courtney Sr. has perfect timing. His retirement from owning and running a Thoroughbred breeding farm has been the right thing for him and the right thing for an industry in need of reflection.
A fire early Wednesday morning resulted in the deaths of seven horses at Upson Downs Farm near Goshen, Ky. The farm is owned by Alex and Sarah Rankin, regular consignors at Kentucky auctions. The names of the seven horses weren't released. Alex Rankin said he arrived at the farm at 1:35 a.m. Wednesday, and the barn was burning. He said the fire apparently started sometime after midnight.
Most Popular Stories
- Irap Gets Best of Girvin in Ohio Derby
- California Sire Benchmark Dead at 26
- Battle of Midway Cruises to Affirmed Victory
- 'Hermaphrodite' Reported Before Race at Santa Anita
- Finley'sluckycharm Makes it Three in a Row in Chicago
- Brothers in Arms: Idaho Takes Hardwicke Stakes
- Mind Your Biscuits Emerges Well From Bullet Work
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- To Royal Ascot and the Stayers: Thanks For the Memories
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup