Randy Mills' turf stakes star Unite's Big Red has been retired after an unsuccessful attempt to bring him back to the races as a 9-year-old this summer. The venerable chestnut gelding will move to Mills' Breakaway Farm in Ocala, according to trainer Dave Vivian, Jr.
A pair of old pros, 6-year-old Mr. Livingston and 9-year-old Unite's Big Red, bid for repeat victories in the $150,000 Miami Mile Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) Monday at Calder Race Course.
Stanley Ersoff's Band Is Passing, the $150,000 Miami Mile Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) winner in 2000, and Randy Mills' Unite's Big Red, who won it in 1998, both as 4-year-olds, return for Monday's Labor Day renewal at Calder Race course at one mile on the turf.
After nearly six months on the sidelines, Stanley Ersoff's Band Is Passing returns to the races in Monday's $150,000 Miami Mile Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Calder.
Denon, Suances, and With Anticipation lead the list of probables for Saturday's race.
A full field of 12 will contest the $200,000 Gulfstream Park Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IT) over 1 3/8 miles Saturday on the Fountain of Youth undercard. This is a wide open contest full of veterans. Stanley Ersoff's Band Is Passing is the mild 7-2 morning line favorite.
Crash Course rallied to win Sunday in the $100,000, grade III Mac Diarmida Handicap for older horses. Crash Course, ridden by jockey Jerry Bailey, finished a half length ahead of Unite's Big Red, a 28-1 shot.
Breakaway Racing Stable's Unite's Big Red, who won the Mac Diarmida (gr. III) two years ago, breezed five furlongs in 1:04 2/5 at Calder Race Course last Sunday in preparation for his upcoming engagement in Sunday's renewal of that same stakes event.
Most Popular Stories
- First Foal by Fast Anna Born in New York
- Untapped Takes First Steps Toward Filling Big Shoes
- End of Fair Grounds Quarantine Appears to be on Horizon
- Remains of Glacial Princess to be Moved to Old Friends
- Keeneland Announces Spring Meet Stakes Schedule
- Japan Gets a NY Filly as His First Foal
- Dortmund Drills for Sherman at Los Al
- The Big Beast Gets a Florida-Bred Colt as First Foal
- Spendthrift Juvenile Stallion Stakes to Add Filly Race
- Finnegans Wake to Stand at Ballena Vista Farm