The Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance has announced that 23 accredited facilities are now eligible to receive financial grants from the organization for the ongoing care of retired Thoroughbreds.
Del Mar Futurity (gr. I) winner Music Merci was euthanized due to the infirmities of old age at United Pegasus Foundation near Tehachapi, Calif. The son of Stop the Music was 27.
Cardmania, the 1993 champion sprinter and Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I) winner, was euthanized Jan. 2 because of an internal tumor that was inoperable.
The California Retirement Management Account Foundation is awarding $264,000 to 12 different charitable organizations caring for retired California race horses in its second year of raising funds.
Forty Niner Days, a multiple graded stakes winner in the early 1990s, was euthanized Aug. 22 due to extensive cancer at the UPF Ranch near Tehacahpi, Calif.
Celebrating the opening of the new Blackhorse Grille in Del Mar, restaurateur Sami Ladeki is joining forces with Rancho Santa Fe volunteers from the United Pegasus Foundation to raise funds in support of the horse rescue operation.
The Thoroughbred Owners of California will donate $128,000 to racing charities for the fiscal year 2002-03.
A bill providing that 20 percent of the proceeds from California racing "charity days" go to nonprofit corporations caring for retired racehorses has been introduced in the state assembly.
Most Popular Stories
- The Great War No Longer Pursuing Derby
- Field Favored at Close of Derby Wager Pool 3
- Far From Over Interest Sold, Wood Next
- Rebel Still Possibilty for Take Charge Brandi
- Dortmund, Lord Nelson Set for San Felipe
- The Big Beast Sharp in Winning Return
- Daredevil Still Ready for Rescheduled Swale
- Cavalryman Dies After Injury at Meydan
- El Kabeir Breezes for Gotham
- French Group I Winner Creator Dies at 29