Tiger tries to stay unbeaten against stakes rivals when he meets seven others in the $200,000 True North Handicap (gr. II) at six furlongs on the Belmont Park main track.
Trainer Scott Lake's lofty plans for Don Six took a temporary detour Saturday afternoon as the 3-5 favorite burned himself out in the lane, allowing Uncle Camie to storm by for a 2 ¾-length victory $106,600 Bold Ruler Handicap (gr. III) for 3-year-olds and up at six furlongs.
Trainer Scott Lake will put his money where his mouth is Saturday at Belmont Park when he sends out the freakishly fast Don Six in the co-featured Bold Ruler Handicap (gr. III) at six furlongs. Don Six is the 120-pound high weight and horse to beat in the $100,000-added Bold Ruler as he faces five rivals.
Trainer Leo Nechamkin says that win or lose, he'll be getting an early Christmas gift when his Gators N Bears competes in Sunday's $100,000-added Gravesend Handicap (gr. III), the final graded stakes race in New York in 2004.
Stronach Stables' Thunder Touch survived a claim of foul to win the $111,600 Fall Highweight Handicap (gr. III) in his stakes debut Sunday at Aqueduct.
The $100,000-added Fall Highweight Handicap, originally scheduled for Thanksgiving but postponed until Sunday because of poor track conditions, lost pre-race favorite Bwana Charlie when entries were taken Friday.
The appeal of the Fall Highweight Handicap (gr. III) is that is harkens back to a time when good horses carried a lot of weight, and therefore, separated themselves from the ordinary. That is why the grade III, six-furlong sprint has lasted for so long.
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity, Constitution Head Clark
- Indiana Trainer Facing Three-Year Suspension
- American Pharoah Touted in Derby Future Wager
- Sweeping New Drug Rules Approved in New York
- Voting Open for Secretariat Vox Populi Award
- Penn National Postpones Big Wednesday Card
- Millennium Releases Stallion Roster, Fees
- TAA Accredits 19 Aftercare Organizations
- Old Friends Sets Open House for Silver Charm
- Hoppertunity Gets Churchill Chance in Clark