Eddie Martin's goal is to develop a successful stallion, and he's close to achieving his dream with Spanish Steps, whose first foals race next year.
Michael Moran had a decision to make this week: Run his talented 4-year-old gelding, Silent Roar, in the Fourstardave Handicap (gr. IIT) at Saratoga or the equally as enticing Oceanport Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Monmouth Aug. 5. Each were worth $150,000. Although entered in both, Moran ultimately chose to send the son of Unbridled Song out in the Oceanport. It turned out to be the right decision.
The gross and average dropped slightly at Keeneland Thursday, the second to last day of the November breeding stock sale.
Ten 3-year-olds were entered to run in Santa Anita's $150,000 Santa Catalina Stakes (gr. II) on Saturday, the first major steppingstone to the $750,000 Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) on April 5.
Favored Our Song took full advantage of a ground-saving trip by jockey Edgar Prado and pulled away for a two-length victory in the final race Friday at Saratoga, a $45,000 maiden affair filled with some potentially top 3-year-olds.
Most Popular Stories
- Kentucky Neglect Case Under Investigation
- Japan Races added to BC Challenge Series
- KY-Bred Ryans Charm Scores Repeat in Peru GI
- Mo Tom Clear Winner in Ohio Derby
- Melatonin Game in Gold Cup Victory
- Europeans Set for Belmont Derby, Oaks
- Melatonin Could Get Time Off After Gold Cup
- Mid-Year Look at the BC Classic
- RTCA Seeking Nominees for White Horse Award
- Welfare and Safety Summit Set for June 28