After 4-5 favorite Starrer unseated jockey Chris McCarron just after the start, 11-1 Tweedside went on to win Saturday's $350,000 Coaching Club American Oaks (gr. I), giving sire Thunder Gulch a sweep of Belmont Park's 1 1/2-mile main track stakes races for 3-year-olds. McCarron was uninjured in the mishap.
Gulfstream Park will close out the 2001 season Friday, featuring an 11-race card that includes three stakes including the $200,000 Bonnie Miss Stakes, and the return of last year's Florida Derby (gr. I) winner.
Trainer Neil Howard began the Gulfstream meet with some well-bred and unraced 3-year-olds and one of them, undefeated Unbridled Lassie, will be starting in Friday's Bonnie Miss Stakes (gr. II). The 1 1/8-mile test is the closing day feature and will also feature runners Lasting Sensation and Happily Unbridled.
Most Popular Stories
- Churchill Donates to Charities, University
- Watsdachances Takes Aim at Dance Smartly
- KY Horse Park Transitioning to Black Fences
- Shaman Ghost Looks for Queen's Plate Magic
- Virginia Aims to Move Graded Stakes to Laurel
- Fox Sports 1 to Broadcast United Nations S.
- Highlander Features Battle of The Sexes
- Golden Horn Tackles Older Horses at Sandown
- Warriorscmoutoplay Rolls Into Azalea
- Work All Week, Alsvid Meet Again in Smile