Andrew Lloyd Webber's 4-year-old filly The Fugue shook off favorite Al Kazeem in the straight and comfortably won the Red Mills Irish Champion Stakes (Ire-I) Sept. 7 at Leopardstown.
The Fugue swept past front-runner Venus de Milo more than a furlong out and cruised clear to victory Aug. 22 in the Darley Yorkshire Oaks (Eng-I), halting a four-race winless skid.
French agent Nicholas de Watrigant saw off the Kentucky-based agent David Ingordo and Tomoyuki Nakamura to secure the 10-year-old mare for $2,872,190.
Benefiting from a perfectly timed ride by Richard Hughes, The Fugue charged past longtime leader Timepiece in the final yards to win the Markel Insurance Nassau Stakes (Eng-I) by a length at Glorious Goodwood Aug. 4.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Works Toward Seasonal Bow
- BC Juvenile Winner Texas Red Retired
- American Gal, Union Strike Meet in Starlet
- Trainer Brown Gearing Up for Gulfstream
- Ferndale Racetrack OK After Earthquake
- A Look Back at A.P. Indy's Hollywood Futurity
- Holy Bull Stakes Goal for Gunnevera
- Three Rules Being Considered for Swale Stakes
- Aqueduct Announcers Bring Youth, Experience
- Promising Mastery Heads Los Al Futurity Field