Andrew Lloyd Webber's 4-year-old filly The Fugue shook off favorite Al Kazeem in the straight and comfortably won the Red Mills Irish Champion Stakes (Ire-I) Sept. 7 at Leopardstown.
The Fugue swept past front-runner Venus de Milo more than a furlong out and cruised clear to victory Aug. 22 in the Darley Yorkshire Oaks (Eng-I), halting a four-race winless skid.
French agent Nicholas de Watrigant saw off the Kentucky-based agent David Ingordo and Tomoyuki Nakamura to secure the 10-year-old mare for $2,872,190.
Benefiting from a perfectly timed ride by Richard Hughes, The Fugue charged past longtime leader Timepiece in the final yards to win the Markel Insurance Nassau Stakes (Eng-I) by a length at Glorious Goodwood Aug. 4.
Most Popular Stories
- Lady Eli Sparkles in Belmont Oaks
- Effinex Outlasts Tonalist at Wire in Suburban
- Force the Pass Brilliant in Belmont Derby
- Private Zone All the Way in Belmont Sprint
- Coffee Clique Proves Best in James Penny
- Silvano Offspring Dominate in Durban July
- Speightster Still Undefeated With Dwyer Win
- American Pharoah to Haskell
- Irish Jasper Draws Away in Victory Ride
- Trainer Desormeaux in New York State of Mind