Grade II winner Turnofthecentury has been retired and will enter stud at Justaplain Farm near Cochranville, Pa.
Frank Stronach's Perfect Sting, the champion turf female of 2000, will run against top male grass horses Saturday when she contests the Manhattan Handicap (gr. I) on the Belmont Stakes card at Belmont Park.
In what will be the biggest handicap race in New York so far this year, eight runners will race once around Aqueduct's 1 1/8 mile track in Saturday's grade III $200,000 Excelsior Breeders' Cup.
Windrush remained undefeated for the year, winning his third straight race Saturday with a half-length victory in the $109,800 Stymie Handicap (gr. III) at Aqueduct. Ridden by Joe Bravo, Windrush wore down front-running Turnofthecentury in the final furlong of the race.
Lenny Imperio employed his own brand of perseverance with Ann S. Fostock's Boston Party by saddling the 4-year-old 10 times, sans one added money appearance. Selecting the $83,900 Queens County for the Colonial Affair colt's stakes debut after a pair of swift one-turn allowance preps meant testing a field laden with considerable stakes experience.
Lager, a former claiming horse, will attempt to win his third graded stakes of the year in the $75,000 Queens County Handicap (gr. III) Saturday at Aqueduct.
Michael Dickinson-trained Cetewayo returns to the races Saturday in the $150,000 Red Smith Handicap (gr. IIT), the last graded stakes this year on turf in New York.
Barry K. Schwartz' and Eugene Hauman's Turnofthecentury led all the way and gamely held off Aldo for a neck victory in Monday's $150,000 National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame Handicap at Saratoga.
Roundup of racing and breeding news briefs.
Most Popular Stories
- New York Discusses Rules on Race-Day Lasix
- Hill 'n' Dale Acquires Half Interest in Bubbler
- Conrad Bandoroff Joins Denali Stud
- Industry Groups Ask for Change in Parx Oaks Ruling
- Ward Pleased With Stable's Royal Ascot Performance
- Date Set for 2017 Maryland Million Day
- F-T Saratoga Offering 12 From Scat Daddy's Last Crop
- Arrogate Breezes at Santa Anita
- 'Free Fridays' at National Museum of Racing
- Irap Gets Best of Girvin in Ohio Derby