Red Bishop, 1995 San Juan Capistrano Invitational Handicap (gr. I) winner and a successful stallion in Turkey, was euthanized there Aug. 7 due to complications resulting from a fractured tibia.
Xpressbet announced the participation of top rider Javier Castellano in the fifth International Jockeys' Challenge, sponsored by the Turkish Jockey Club, July 17 at Istanbul's Veliefendi Racecourse.
Unaccounted For, the 1995 Whitney Handicap (gr. I) winner who had a successful stud career in Turkey, died May 29 in that country due to the effects of progressive ethmoid hematoma.
Strike the Gold, the 1991 Kentucky Derby winner, was euthanized at Karacabey Stud Farm in Turkey Dec. 13, it was confirmed by the Turkish Jockey Club. The 23-year-old son of Alydar had been the oldest living Derby winner.
The Jockey Club of Turkey has added considerable strength to its stallion roster.
Manila, who was elected to the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame in 2008, died Feb. 28 in Turkey because of an aortic rupture.
Jean-Pierre DeRoubaix of the French Bloodstock Agency announced that the Turkish Jockey Club has purchased West by West, Marlin, Fantastic Fellow, Bijou d'Inde, and Bin Ajwaad for stallion duty at the Turkish National Stud near Izmit.
West By West, sixth-leading third crop sire in the U.S., is among three stallions destined for Turkey, if negotiations are completed. The other two are Fantastic Fellow and Marlin, according to Narvick International, which is helping engineer the deal with the Turkish Jockey Club.
Most Popular Stories
- Big Three Clash in Rich Travers Stakes
- Close Hatches Dominates Personal Ensign
- California Chrome Sharpens Up at Los Alamitos
- Mark Valeski, Magna Graduate to Woodford
- Bayern Gallops 1 1/2 Miles On Eve of Travers
- Chrome Set for Pennsylvania Derby Return
- Pedigree Analysis: Bayern
- Hootenanny, The Wow Signal to Meet in France
- Jerkens, Lukas, Durkin Honored at Saratoga
- Irish Surf Opts for Classic Over Del Mar 'Cap