Carolyn Chapman and Theresa McArthur's Caller One broke slowly under jockey Kent Desormeaux, but recovered quickly enough to lead at every call en route to a 4 1/2-length win in the $150,000 Kentucky Cup Sprint (gr. II) Saturday at Turfway Park.
Shane Sellers put Captain Steve on the lead going into the stretch and held off Golden Missile to win the $500,000 Kentucky Cup Classic (gr. II) on Saturday at Turfway Park. This was the third win in four races for Captain Steve, the only 3-year-old in the six-horse field. The victory gave trainer Bob Baffert three Kentucky Cup Classic winners in the past four years.
When Caller One won Turfway Park's six-furlong Hansel Stakes by 10 lengths in his 3-year-old debut in March, he stamped himself as one of the top sophomore sprinters in the country. He returns to Turfway on Saturday to face seven other 3-year-olds as the odds-on choice in the Kentucky Cup Sprint (gr. II).
The last time Golden Missile raced in Kentucky, he came away with a 2 3/4-length victory in June's Stephen Foster Handicap (gr. II) over a sloppy track at Churchill Downs. On Saturday, the 5-year-old son of A.P. Indy will face five rivals as the 121-pound highweight in the $500,000 Kentucky Cup Classic Handicap (gr. II) at Turfway Park.
Rize, the nine-length winner of the Philip H. Iselin Handicap (gr. II) in his most recent start, will breeze Monday morning at Turfway Park in a work that will determine his status for Saturday's $500,000 Kentucky Cup Classic (gr. II). If he is entered, the 4-year-old son of Theatrical will likely face Golden Missile, Cat Thief, Early Pioneer, and Captain Steve in the 1 1/8-mile race.
Most Popular Stories
- CHRB Gets Update as Moving Day Draws Closer
- Outstanding Field Set for CashCall Futurity
- Normandy Invasion, Itsmyluckyday Return
- Solid Field Drawn for Springboard Mile Stakes
- Slideshow: New Sires of 2014
- Marathon Valedictory Closes Out Woodbine Meet
- Barbaro Brother Lentenor to Stand in Indiana
- Preakness Purse Increased to $1.5M in 2014
- Northern California Race Dates Approved
- Longshot Proves First Winner for Tippity Tap