Dogwood Stable's favored Smok'n Frolic gained command on the final turn and cruised to a 3 1/2-length win in Saturday's $175,000 Turfway Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. III), ending a five-race losing streak. Cajun Beat was the upset winner of the $00,000 Kentucky cup Sprint (gr. III)
Trainer Shug McGaughey watched Saturday's Kentucky Cup "day of champions" on TVG from his Belmont Park office in New York. But his absence from Turfway Park did nothing to diminish his enthusiasm on the day after his charges, Pure Prize and Trip, accounted for the grade II, $400,000 Kentucky Cup Classic and the grade III, $200,000 Turfway Breeders' Cup Stakes.
The fields for some of Turfway's four stakes races Saturday beyond the Kentucky Cup Classic (gr. II) are shaping up nicely.
Claiborne Farm's homebred Trip earned her second career graded stakes win, upsetting the field to win the $200,000 Turfway Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. III) Saturday at Turfway Park. Under Craig Perret, the 4-year-old filly completed the 1 1/16 miles in 1:42.47 on a fast track in winning by three lengths.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Mind Your Biscuits Rises to Occasion in Golden Shaheen
- Thunder Snow Gets Up in UAE Derby
- Second Summer catches Sharp Azteca in Godolphin Mile
- Jack Hobbs, Vivlos Score on the Turf at Meydan
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Dubai World Cup Night
- Arrogate Brings Baffert Back to World Cup
- Owner-Breeder Bertram Klein Dies
- Litfin at Large: Getting Handle on Dubai World Cup Card
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup