Main Sequence found North American turf racing to his liking in 2014, as the Niarchos Family's Flaxman Holdings homebred won all four of his starts--each at the grade I level--to secure the turf male Eclipse Award.
Wise Dan once again swept a trio of Eclipse Awards at the ceremony in South Florida Jan. 18, adding a second consecutive Horse of the Year title to his outstanding turf male and older male honors.
Ken Ramsey wants to win the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) more than any other race, and he tried to make Kitten's Joy a Derby horse. He didn't achieve his goal with the son of El Prado, but the flashy chestnut colt's development into a turf star was a very good consolation prize.
Let's see if this story sounds familiar...an international turf star, sired by Mill Reef's son Doyoun, makes one start in the United States and wins the Eclipse Award as top turf horse. If it doesn't ring a bell, then flip back the calendar just one year to when Daylami turned the trick. In 2000, it was Kalanisi's turn.
Most Popular Stories
- Field of 22 Set for 142nd Kentucky Derby
- Fresh Horses Plentiful in 2016 Kentucky Derby
- Nyquist Jogs, Schools at Churchill Downs
- Ramseys Go It Alone with Oscar Nominated
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite
- Adversaries Unite at Trainers' Dinner
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - May 3, 2016
- NBC Sports Group Sets Derby Week Coverage
- Zenyatta Bred to Medaglia d'Oro
- Lani Breezes in Final Derby Preparation