The rejuvenated 7-year-old Silver Tree brings a three-race winning streak into the $150,000 Cliff Hanger (gr. IIIT) on the Meadowlands turf course the night of Sept. 21.
Dreadnaught, a 7-year-old gelding with more than $600,000 in career earnings, holds a substantial class edge in the $100,000 Sussex Stakes on the Delaware Park turf course Saturday, but the confirmed closer will have to overcome a pronounced track bias to reach the winner's circle for trainer Thomas Voss.
The Philadelphia Park horsemen will conclude their four day "turf festival" at Atlantic City Thursday afternoon with the running of the $50,000 Tony Gatto Dream Big Stakes. It's the second running of the race, a five-furlong turf test for three year-olds and up. The race is named in memory of the long time plant superintendent at the Mays Landing track.
Even-money favorite Old Forester got up in the final two strides to win the $150,000 Cliff Hanger Stakes (gr. IIIT) by a nose over 40-1 shot Tune of the Spirit on opening night at the Meadowlands Friday.
Crown Point, runner-up in last year's Pegasus (gr. III), will return to the Meadowlands for the $150,000 Cliff Hanger Stakes (gr. IIIT) on Friday, opening night of the 2006 Thoroughbred meet.
Live Oak Plantation's homebred Miesque's Approval had to wait a week, but the heavy favorite proved his mettle with a six-wide move for jockey Eddie Castro on the final turn, winning the $150,000 Red Bank Stakes (gr. IIIT) by a half-length
Saturday's $150,000 Red Bank Stakes (gr. IIIT), the final graded turf event of the season at Monmouth, could be a showdown between Live Oak Plantation's Miesque's Approval, who's won his last two in Kentucky, and Runnin Horse Farm's Hotstufanthensome, a five-time winner at Monmouth.
Most Popular Stories
- Reach the World Euthanized After Training Injury
- Imperative Repeats in Charles Town Classic
- Collected Impresses Again in Californian
- Multiplier Steps Up His Game in Illinois Derby
- Call To Mind Delivers Late Birthday Gift to The Queen
- Cloud Computing to Bypass KY Derby, Point for Preakness
- Gormley Works Smartly at Santa Anita
- Twisted Tom Takes Sloppy Tesio
- Finest City, Songbird Drill Toward Spring Starts
- Trio Zips On OBS Spring Sale's Final Under Tack Day