Truckle Feature, a Grade 1-placed 2-year-old last year for owner James McIngvale, was euthanized after suffering a leg injury during a five-furlong breeze at Santa Anita Friday.
Front-running King Robyn and jockey Alex Solis held on desperately in the stretch to defeat Truckle Feature and Eye of the Tiger by a half-length in Saturday's $80,700 San Pedro Stakes for 3-year-olds at Santa Anita.
Juddmonte Farms' Empire Maker, one of the most hyped 2-year-old runners last year is scheduled to make his 2003 debut Friday in the $75,000 Sham Stakes at Santa Anita. The 1 1/8-mile race, while is restricted to 3-year-olds that have not won $50,000 at a mile or over, has drawn a diverse crowd.
Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) winner and early Kentucky Derby favorite Vindication worked for the first time as a sophomore Monday, logging a half-mile in :48 2/5, handily, over Santa Anita's fast main track. Exercise rider Dana Barnes was in the irons for the move, which was listed as the 22nd fastest of the 46 who worked at the distance.
Sky Mesa, crowned leader of the juvenile division off his victory in the Hopeful (gr. I) at Saratoga, will face five foes on Saturday, in the $400,000 Lane's End Breeders' Futurity (gr. II) at Keeneland, in his final prep for the Breeders Cup Juvenile (gr. I) Oct. 26.
Whywhywhy will be asked the question Sunday in the $200,000 Futurity (gr. I) at Belmont Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Look Back: Bernardini's Dandy Score at Saratoga
- Successful Sire City Zip Dead at 19
- Jockey Flores Plans to Retire From Riding
- Always Dreaming, Cloud Computing Head Jim Dandy
- Paulassilverlining Shows Her Mettle in Honorable Miss
- Drefong Set for 2017 Debut in Bing Crosby
- Curlin Road Wears Down Hard Aces in Cougar II
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Girvin to Have New Pilot in Albarado in Haskell
- Cool Catomine Rolls Late in Prince of Wales Upset