Trainer Bill McLean recorded his 1,000th victory Feb. 7, when Moogie Woogie skimmed the rail to capture the fifth race at Golden Gate Fields.
When speedy Longines Breeders' Cup Distaff (gr. I) hopeful Belle Gallantey arrived at Santa Anita Park Sunday it actually marked a return to California for the veteran of 43 races.
Commander defended his title in the British Columbia Premier's Stakes (Can-III) while Madeira Park secured the first graded stakes win in her career in the Ballerina Stakes (Can-III) Oct. 14 at Hastings Racecourse.
There were no surprises in a pair of grade III stakes Oct. 8 at Hastings Racecourse as heavily favored Commander took the B. C. Premier's Stakes and 3-5 favorite Class Included won the Ballerina Stakes.
Two grade III stakes at Hastings Racecourse, the Ballerina and British Columbia Premier's Handicap, highlight the Columbus Day holiday program at the Vancouver, B.C. track Oct. 8.
Jockey Mario Gutierrez will attempt to win the $200,000 British Columbia Derby Sept. 9 at Hastings Racecourse for his mentor, Glen Todd, who has entered a trio of strong challengers in the $200,000 event at 1 1/8 miles.
Thrust into the national spotlight with a victory aboard I'll Have Another in the May 5 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), Mario Gutierrez has kept his ego in check while thoroughly enjoying the whirlwind ride.
Hall of Fame jockey Russell Baze returns to his homeland when he rides Cherokee Notion in the $150,000 British Columbia Derby (Can-III) at Hastings Park Sept. 26.
Most Popular Stories
- Maiden Trojan Nation Seeks Derby Upset
- Ben's Cat Set for 10-Year-Old Debut
- Lani Works in Perplexing Fashion
- Nyquist Jogs in Advance of Final Derby Work
- First Winner for Caleb's Posse at Gulfstream
- Sherman Seeks California Chrome Stakes Upset
- 3 Kentucky Derby Longshots to Consider
- Mad Flatter Euthanized After Accident
- Horse Caucus Takes Testimony on Drug Bill
- Espinoza Back for More in Kentucky Derby