In the fourth of 11 installments on previous Triple Crown winners, here is an excerpt from The Blood-Horse issue of June 12, 1937, on War Admiral winning the Belmont Stakes to complete the Triple Crown.
Here is an excerpt from Joe Palmer's Sidelights column in The Blood-Horse issue of June 19, 1948 on Citation winning the Belmont Stakes to complete the Triple Crown.
Seattle Slew successfully underwent surgery Saturday morning to fuse the joint between two vertebrae in his neck.
Seattle Slew, the only living Triple Crown winner, celebrated his 28th birthday Friday, Feb. 15, at Robert N. Clay's Three Chimneys Farm near Midway, Ky.
Seattle Slew bred his first mare of the 2001 breeding season on Monday morning, February 12 -- opening day for the Three Chimneys breeding shed. Seattle Slew successfully bred Dreams of Success, a 4-year-old maiden mare by Dixieland Band owned by Denali Stud and Barry Weisbord. "Seattle Slew bred confidently and aggressively, and physically seems to be in great shape for the breeding season," commented Three Chimneys Farm stallion manager Sandy Hatfield.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome is Vox Populi Award Winner
- Leave the Light On for Storm Cat
- Nine-Month Suspension Recommended for Veitch
- WV Racing Struggles With Plan for Stability
- Researchers Study Near-, Farsightedness in Horses
- Two IL Tracks File for Bankruptcy Protection
- Undefeated Dortmund Wasn't Always So Popular
- British Racing Undertakes Education Program
- Lukas Pointing 'Brandi' to Kentucky Oaks
- Baffert Quartet Faces Shared Belief in Malibu