Handicapping is a puzzle. Find out how all the pieces fit -- pedigree, nick ratings, sire and dam performance, and racing history -- in one report. Get More Details!
From Thunder Gulch's second crop, Point Given appears poised to make a run at the 2001 Derby, giving the Mr. Prospector line another strong player to extend the dynasty. If successful, Thunder Gulch would join Unbridled (Grindstone) as the most recent Derby winner to sire a Derby winner.
It's been 24 years since Seattle Slew became the 10th Triple Crown winner and 17 years since a son of his (Swale) won the Kentucky Derby (gr. I). The Derby arguably is the toughest of all races to win, and any horse who attempts to handle the 1 1/4 miles the first Saturday in May at Churchill Downs against as many as 19 rivals needs a competent trainer and jockey, along with the proper blend of speed and stamina, and a good deal of racing luck. With all that in mind, it's time to take a look at one of Seattle Slew's grandsons, A P Valentine, and see how he fits into the Derby picture.
Most Popular Stories
- East Vs. West in Second Derby Future Wager
- Several Tracks Cancel Feb. 13 Race Cards
- Nyquist Begins 2016 Campaign in San Vicente
- Discreetness, Collected Face Off in Southwest
- Calculator to Make Return at Santa Anita
- Green Gratto Among Nine in General George
- WV Bill Would Decouple Racing and Gaming
- Saratoga Mischief to Return in Capossela
- TOBA Pedigree, Conformation Clinic Scheduled
- Los Alamitos Announces Spring Stakes Schedule