Front-running Balto Star and jockey John Velazquez took advantage of his deliberate pace to spurt away in the stretch en route to an easy 3 1/4-length victory in Saturday's $150,000 Red Smith Handicap (gr. IIT) over soft going on the Aqueduct turf.
European-based Sulamani, a winner of multiple Group I outings on other continents, and the recently American-based grade I victor Storming Home, head a field of 13 of the best turf horses throughout the world in Saturday's 21st running of the Arlington Million (gr. IT).
West Coast-based jockey Corey Nakatani, who finished second by a head aboard Gary A. Tanaka's Sarafan in the 2002 Arlington Million, will now get a chance to make amends for that defeat with the mount on Charles E. Fipke's Perfect Soul in Saturday's 21st running of the grade I centerpiece of the Chicago Thoroughbred racing season.
Most Popular Stories
- Vicar's in Trouble Turns in Derby Work
- My Miss Sophia, Got Lucky Breeze at Churchill
- Mine That Bird Still Flies in Kentucky
- Sisterly Love Scores Doubledogdare Upset
- TimeformUS Saturday Stakes Plays
- Speightstown Colt Works Quick Quarter at OBS
- Indiana Grand Racing & Casino Begins New Era
- Samraat, Uncle Sigh Work at Belmont
- Churchill Derby, Oaks Security Plan Released
- Mike Mitchell to Step Down as Head Trainer