Front-running Balto Star and jockey John Velazquez took advantage of his deliberate pace to spurt away in the stretch en route to an easy 3 1/4-length victory in Saturday's $150,000 Red Smith Handicap (gr. IIT) over soft going on the Aqueduct turf.
European-based Sulamani, a winner of multiple Group I outings on other continents, and the recently American-based grade I victor Storming Home, head a field of 13 of the best turf horses throughout the world in Saturday's 21st running of the Arlington Million (gr. IT).
West Coast-based jockey Corey Nakatani, who finished second by a head aboard Gary A. Tanaka's Sarafan in the 2002 Arlington Million, will now get a chance to make amends for that defeat with the mount on Charles E. Fipke's Perfect Soul in Saturday's 21st running of the grade I centerpiece of the Chicago Thoroughbred racing season.
Most Popular Stories
- Callback Rings Up Victory in Las Virgenes
- The Great War Has More in Store After Romp
- 'Brandi' Makes Martha Washington Interesting
- Undefeated Ocean Knight Wins Sam F. Davis
- Avanzare Responds For Stevens in Arcadia Win
- Early Nominees to Triple Crown Races Increase
- Conquest Two Step Surprises in Palos Verdes
- Testa Rossi Gets Endeavour Victory on DQ
- Can Texas Red Be Beaten in the San Vicente?
- Aqueduct Cancels Racing for Saturday, Jan. 31