In today’s world of increasing national and international equine events and breeding opportunities, one of the big issues practitioners and governing bodies face is maintaining a balance between facilitating horse movement and mitigating disease risk. At the 2012 International Conference on Equine Infectious Disease, held Oct. 22-26 in Lexington, Ky...
Fracture stabilization is one of the most important steps in addressing potentially catastrophic injuries in horses. One of the staples veterinarians use to stabilize equine limb fractures is the Robert Jones bandage, a layered and padded bandage, sometimes used in conjunction with a splint layered inside the wrap, designed to limit limb mobility.
Applying a stent bandage--a thick, non-adhesive bandage attached by sutures over the incision line--following colic surgery in the horse can dramatically decrease the risk of incisional infection said Aziz Tnibar, DVM, PhD, DECVS of the Department of Large Animal Sciences of the University of Copenhagen, Denmark. Speaking at the Annual Convention of the A...
Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, located in the Netherlands, will have a second equine handling center starting in December, with the launch of a joint venture between handling agent Aviapartner and Dutch equine transport specialist European Cargo Services (ECS).
A horse trailer traveling from Minnesota to Kentucky that was carrying 53 horses overturned and rolled down an embankment just north of Lawrenceburg, Ind., on Route 1 early Wednesday evening.
The shutdown of New York airports will keep Beautiful Pleasure and Hero's Tribute out of important graded stakes races at Belmont Park on Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Del Mar Sets Plan to Solve Turf Course Issue
- Some Top Trainers Support Phasing Out Salix
- Indiana Sire Lantana Mob Gets First Winner
- WV Hires New Lab; Purse Money Still in Limbo
- Champion She's a Tiger Retired
- Tumor Side Effect Leads to Filly's Group I DQ
- Bertha Wright of Calumet Dynasty Dies at 94
- Horse Returned, But Entry Clerk Out of a Job
- Illinois Tracks Seeking Fewer Dates in 2015
- Monmouth to Reduce Overnight Purses by 10%