Willis D. Horton's Will Take Charge has long been referred to as a horse who makes one powerful run, and on Sept. 21 that run landed him in the Parx Racing winner's circle with a victory in the $1 million Pennsylvania Derby.
TimeformUS Weekend Plays: The Pennsylvania Derby and The Gallant Bloom read blog
Will Take Charge tries to validate his Travers Stakes (gr. I) victory over Moreno in 1 1/8-mile test at Parx Racing.
They've risen to the top of the 3-year-old division with definitive performances in some of the nation's biggest races. Now, North America's best sophomores--Orb, Verrazano, and Palice Malice--face off Aug. 24 at Saratoga.
Orb, winner of the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), turned in a sharp half-mile work in a bullet :47.68 Aug. 19 in preparation for the Aug. 24 Travers Stakes (gr. I), the fastest of 28 works at the distance.
It's on to the Travers Stakes for Darley Stable's Transparent, who finished first in the July 26 Curlin Stakes for trainer Kiaran McLaughlin but was disqualified to fifth. Romansh, promoted to victory, is possible.
- By Vic Zast
Velazquez fails to overtake Bailey in career victory standings. read blog
Heavy favorite will have to overcome the far outside post in his 3-year-old debut.
Most Popular Stories
- Kettle Corn to Stand in Ohio at Fair Winds
- Drug Testing Not Without Its Challenges
- Aftercare Alliance Awards $1M in Grants
- Lexie Lou Heads Ontario Lassie
- Jed Doro, Nancy Ury Added to Oaklawn Staff
- Brisnet.com Ultimate Guide to Aqueduct Inner
- Tournaments Growing Fans and Owners
- Top Mare Nastique Dies at 29
- Panelists to Horse Racing: Spin Isn't In
- St Nicholas Abbey Progresses in Recovery