Tranquility Lake led all the way under jockey Eddie Delahoussaye to win the $500,000 Yellow Ribbon Stakes (gr. IT) by a length over Spanish Fern Saturday at Santa Anita. Over firm turf, Tranquility Lake completed the 1 1/4 miles in 2:02.98 after running the final quarter-mile in :22.63 seconds.
Defending champion Spanish Fern and Tranquility Lake head a field of six entered in Saturday's $500,000 Yellow Ribbon Stakes (gr. IT) at Santa Anita's Oak Tree meeting. Earlier in the day, undefeated Flame Thrower heads a field of eight entered in the $200,000 Norfolk Stakes (gr. II).
Tranquility Lake will miss Saturday's Ramona Handicap (gr. IT) due to a fever. The 5-year-old mare was expected to be the favorite and highweight for the nine-furlong race at Del Mar, but she apparently suffered a spider bite and became ill.
Mr. and Mrs. Martin J. Wygod's Tranquility Lake earned her second victory of the year from as many starts and jockey Eddie Delahoussaye earned his third victory on the day when the two teamed up for a front-running win in the $136,950 Palomar Handicap (gr. IIIT) Wednesday at Del Mar.
Most Popular Stories
- Beholder Work Moved After Del Mar Breakdowns
- Stradivari Sustains Career-Ending Injury
- Enola Gray Still Unbeaten After Del Mar Romp
- 7-Year-Old Gelding Wins First Start at Ellis
- Blame Angel Wins a Day After Trainer's Death
- After 35 Years, Jockey Joe Steiner Retires
- Ancient Secret Scores in Lake George
- McCarthy, Trainer of General Quarters, Dies
- Songbird Logs First Gallop at Saratoga
- Sweet Loretta Powers to Schuylerville Win