Sanford Goldfarb's and Stewart Hoffman's Well Fancied, the post-time favorite of the New York Showcase Day crowd of 10,214, held off the stubborn 7-year-old Gander to win Saturday's $250,000 Empire Classic for New York breds at 1 1/8 mile.
Without Funny Cide, Saturday's $250,000 Empire Classic, the featured race on a day filled with New York-bred stakes, pits veteran fan favorite Gander against Sanford Goldfarb's Well Fancied.
Headed by Travers Stakes (gr. I) winner Ten Most Wanted, the connections of 12 horses have made sustaining payments for the grade II, $500,000 Super Derby XXIV at Louisiana Downs on Sept. 20.
Barry Schwartz' homebred New York Derby winner Traffic Chief added the $150,000 Albany Stakes to his resume Wednesday afternoon at Saratoga.
The latest stakes winner for the New York Racing Association's Barry K. Schwartz and trainer Michael Hushion is Traffic Chief, favored in Wednesday's $150,000 Albany Stakes for New York-bred 3-year-olds at Saratoga Race Course.
Trainer Steve Klesaris waited a long time to get some distance for Sanford Goldfarb and Team Julep Stable's Happy Trails, figuring ground was the key for the Peaks and Valleys colt.
Most Popular Stories
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- Curlin Colt Sells for $350,000 at F-T October
- Cinco Charlie to Spendthrift Farm
- Keen Ice Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Classic
- Tapit Colt Late Withdrawal from F-T Sale
- Malibu Moon Filly Sells for $300,000 at F-T
- Arc Winner Found Could Run in BC Classic
- Inside the Magical Kingdom of Ballydoyle
- Positive Start to Fasig-Tipton October Sale
- Harzand to Aga Khan’s Gilltown Stud