Simulcast wagering at Trackside Louisville has been canceled for May 2 due to a weather-related power outage, according to officials at Churchill Downs, where live racing resumes May 6.
The number of confirmed cases of the equine disease known as strangles has declined and there is no evidence that the disease has spread, results of a second round of tests performed on horses quarantined in a pair of barns at Churchill Downs' Trackside Louisville training center show.
Churchill Downs has appointed Stacey Meier to serve as the track's director of marketing. The native of Fort Wayne, Ind., most recently served as director of marketing for the Churchill Downs Simulcast Network, a post she had held since 2003.
Ellis Park will institute a 5% reduction in all overnight purses, including all Kentucky Thoroughbred Development Fund supplements, beginning July 28 for the duration of the 54-day meeting.
Churchill Downs' Louisville simulcasting facility remained without power July 15 in the aftermath of storms that hit the area the evening of July 13.
Churchill Downs will offer free admission on weekdays after the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) during its "Spring Meet of Champions," which begins April 24.
Racing to the wire is nothing new at Churchill Downs, but this fall it's construction crews and track employees rather than horses that are making a final surge to meet deadlines before the opening of the 27-day fall racing meet on Oct. 26.
Stonecrest Farm's Perfect Drift, who edged heavily favored Mineshaft in the Stephen Foster Handicap (gr. I), will get a little time to relax after the biggest win of his career. After that, the sky's the limit, says trainer Murray Johnson.
Most Popular Stories
- Sherman: Ascot Could Be Rough on 'Chrome'
- Materiality New KY Derby Shooter for Pletcher
- California Chrome Headed to Royal Ascot
- Daredevil, Frosted Post Final Works for Wood
- 'Pharoah' Speedy in First Workout After Rebel
- FL Derby Day Sets Handle Record
- State Control of NYRA Extended Another Year
- Prince Bishop Denies U.S. Runners in Dubai
- Unbeaten Materiality Secures Florida Derby
- Mubtaahij Easily Earns Kentucky Derby Spot